ParanoidObseshun's 27 gallon cube

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the process of building my 27 cube setup and to this point I have most of the stand finished. I attached 3/4" EMT to the stand to hold up my LED fixture above the tank. I still need to find replacement hardware for the stand door since I dont like the original marineland handle.

Stand so far.
Untitled-8.jpg

For the 27 cube itself I plan on building a small AIO overflow compartment. Will house the filter floss, a small fuge area, heater, and return pump. I picked up a 300gal pump for the overflow and will hook it up to a hydor flo which will be on the side of the overflow. I plan on buying another small powerhead to attach a 2nd hydor flo to on the opposite side of the overflow. Still havent made the overflow compartment yet but plan to get it done in the next few days. Really want to get this tank up and running as I am going to be moving to a new apartment and will be shutting down my 20L AIO at home.

Updates to come..

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a picture of where the tank will be placed in the new apt. Centered along the back wall. I am in the process of finishing the overflow and just need to secure it into the tank and then pick up a new powerhead. Along with picking up a few other things. Hoping to get this done soon.

apttankplacement.jpg

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update so far:

Tank setup in apartment and overflow is secured inside the tank. Still need to hook up the 300gph return pump and its hydor flo return, also have a 300gph powerhead that is hooked up to another hydor flo, and then will probably have a koralia nano underneath the overflow aimed towards the front.

Here is the tank as it currently sits. Hoping to take a day and transfer everything over from my 20L to this tank.

IMG_0132-3.jpg

IMG_0133-1.jpg

IMG_0135-3.jpg

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Yeah it does look lonely over by the tank, but there will be a bench going on the wall across from the tank. Other than that I dont think anything else will be in the area. My lady says Im not allowed to clutter up the place lol.

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I transferred everything to the tank over a week ago. Was a real pain and took 40 minutes to pack the car and a little longer to unload. Because of narrow steps leading up the the apartment.

Here is the tank as it sits right now. Still need to find permanent spots for a lot of the corals.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!

The cube is doing good so far. I still have yet to secure any of the corals down or find permanent spots for most of them. All of the corals seem to be acclimating nicely to the new light fixture though. Both of my war corals have developed deeper coloring and the blues in them are really starting to pop.

There was a hitchhiker Montipora on a blasto colony I received in the past. In my old tank the coral turned brown and didnt really polyp out, but since being under the new lights both the base and the polyps are starting to get their color back.

I went out and picked up some sps frags the other day as I want to start adding some to the tank. Testing the light to see if it will be able to keep them happy and colorful. I ended up getting 4 sps and a cyphastrea.
IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! And nice frags too! :D

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!

The tank seems to be going steady so far. Corals all looking happy and colorful. the Sps frags have been doing good as well. No color loss and getting good polyp extension.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Love all the blastos. What kind of sand did you use? It looks almost like crystals, not sand. Very nice overall, keep up the great work.

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. I picked the sand up at Petsupplies plus. They were in 5lb bags. Nothing fancy but I have used it in the past and I wanted to go back to it.

Here is an updated FTS.
IMG_0351.jpg

New torch I picked up.
IMG_0335.jpg

OP
OP
Paranoidobseshun

Paranoidobseshun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently picked up a small emerald crab, hope that it will take care of the small spots of algae that seems to be popping up on some frags. Put him in the tank the other day and at night the little guy seems to migrate to 1 of my frags and just sits in it. Doesnt pick at anything, just sits there.

IMG_0981.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back