Clownfish Broadstock nutrition

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research on why I have been having large larva losses(within 12hrs post hatch) and poor hatch rate, I have decided to focus on broad stock nutrition. I have been averaging 50-70% hatch rate and only 5-15 larva are alive past 24hrs. I had been feeding 1-2 times per day but honestly mostly once per day due to a hair algae outbreak. Foods include Rod's Food and Spectrum Thera +A, mostly. I say the pellets 5-6 days a week only. If I feed twice a day, then I would do a little Rod's food. I'm not sure if I just need to increase the times per day that I feed or mix in more variety. I figured both so I went to the meat market and made some home made mix:

6 table shrimp with peel on
1 large clam
1/3 squid
1 scallop
3 cloves of garlic
3 oz. of cyclopeez
2 tbs. Otohime C1(new stuff)
1 tbs. Spectrum Thera +A
broccoli(few small heads)
carrots(few baby carrots)
1/2 sheet nori
After more reading last night I found some people using Fauna Marin. Does anybody use this line of feed? Do you believe it is better than Otohime? I have lots of Otohime and plan on using that more often for my broad stock.I am going to feed my home made stuff once a day, pellets once, and then Rod's food or Baby Brine shrimp plus for a third time. Three times a day should be enough, right? I have taken some steps to fight the hair algae but honestly, I would rather have viable eggs and a little algae than what I have now.
Do you see any potential issues with my new plan? What do you think of my new home made stuff? I know I could have added more stuff but this is all that my meat market had at the time. Any additions or deletions that you would have made in ingredients or quantity ratios? Here is a link to my breeders log. Thank you for your time and help.
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percua ]

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would omit the broccoli and carrots unless your are pulping them. The large chunks cam be dangerous.
I don't feed too to my broodstock but use nls and dainichi pellets

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIsh I could help lol... But I just read your journal from the start to the last post and that's amazing... Looks like hard work and determination paid off... Great job... Can't wait to do that someday...1smile1

OP
OP
B

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have been getting a lot better results lately. Having raised several hundred clowns. I am feeding my homemade mix a few times per week but I have changed up types of frozen food to include Rods(3-4 different types) food and the bigger Otohime pellets. But I believe that my clowns just needed to get into a groove. It took until ~8 clutch to start getting good hatch rates. Now I have more clowns than I can handle.......time to add more tanks :)

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed my pairs like 6 to 7 times s day, more if im not lazy. i make my own food. i dont think adding garlic is a good idea. its not in the wild so i leave it out. i heard you only need 20% veggies and i need to add more to mine but my broodstock goes ape for my food.
mysis
freeze dried cyclops
oysters
clams
squid
yellow fin tuna or wild salmon. or both.
spiralina powder
3 types of nori
kelp
seaweed or any other types of greesn i can find in the asin market.
i also add selcon to the food and i drop some in when i am defrosting it too.

more you feed the better they will respond. also algae growth in the water is good. clowns love dirty tanks. i only wipe my front glass once a week, but if your clowns are in a reef you might want to lower the feedings.

good bulk food i get mine from JEHMCO Main.

rods and other foods are good, but gonna cost you an arm and a leg if your really gonna feed your clowns the way they need it.

only once 2 twice a day i feed mine spectum pellets, and 2x a day or more i put some freeze dried cyclops in a condiment bottle and shoot it into the tank. clowns go nuts for cyclops.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back