frag tank build

joeogio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s20131215_133059 (2).jpg

A friend gave me this frag tank, it had set outside and needed to be rebuild. my goal for this build is to make a simple and neat. diy what i can and shoot for a professional look.
i started off by cutting the panels apart and cleaned off all the silicone
in the process of stripping the silicone i cut my thumb open and has to get like 7 stitches i pretty much cut it to the bone. (can i post a pic of it stitched up is that allowed?)
then i siliconed it back together i didnt do a perfect job but it was my first try at it so i cant complain.
then i painted the stand and placed black plastic over a foam sheet under the tank, i think it looks pretty cool and it will be covered in purple eventually.

20141204_210925.jpg
20141205_221326.jpg

the sump i built got my mom out of a 30g tank and she didnt end up using, it should work perfect here.
i plan to grow something in the middle area as a nutrient export

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions? Looks great so far. One thing though for the stand, make sure the supports are set up correctly. See how the vertical 2x4 are inside the top frame? Having it set this way puts the shear force on the screws, it could be strong enough. If it were me I would want to really make sure though and add 2x4's to make a butt joint with the top frame. This puts the downward force into the 2x4s and not on the screws. Good luck with it cant wait to see it up and running!

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see your progress Joe. So sorry about your thumb! A picture of it wouldn't bother me as I worked in a hospital lab and saw a lot worse than that such as dead bodies, parts of bodies, human excrement. Ok, I will stop now.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on reinforcing the vertical support. Sorry about your thumb. A pic wouldn't bother me as well. May be just post a link instead of attaching a pic for the weak hearted ones :)

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 also on the reinforcement but since it's a frag tank and the water volume is light it'll probably be fine. Looks great good luck!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back