We are very proud to have Albert Thiel on board here at Reef2Reef!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are very proud to have Albert Thiel on board here at Reef2Reef.

Albert will be our resident nano reef aquarium expert. He will also provide articles and answers for other general reefing questions and topics.

Many who have been around for a number of years are more than likely familiar with Albert through the number of books he has written.

1) The Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium (over 80K copies sold and still used, Amazon lists used copies for a very low price)
2) Advanced Reefkeeping I (over 50K sold and still being used by many as a reference)
3) Advanced Reefkeeping II (was not published in print but was an online “subscription only” e-book, and that was long before e-books were even available or know to us)
3) Small Reef Aquarium Basics - For smaller tanks and for beginner hobbyists - what we now call "Nano-Reefs"
4) The New Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium (not in print but published online only again as an e-book at http://www.nmfira.com)
5) Ten Easy Steps to a Successful Reef Aquarium (A step by step Guide on how to set up a Successful Reef Aquarium, Large or Small)
6) The Trickle Filter: Right and not so Right ways on its uses and Set Up
7) Aquarium Automation: A Comprehensive Overview of available Technologies and Devices (e-book online)
8) The Marine Reef Newsletter - a monthly 16 to 24 page publication that ran for nearly 6 years and was also available in hardbound copy by year
9) Numerous contributions to Netpets (Online Site) in the form of articles on a large number of specific Topics
10) Many articles for FAMA, THF magazine and Marine Fish Monthly, and also for Foreign Magazines in French, Dutch, German and Spanish
11) Many articles published in Aquarium Society Newsletters, and other such vehicles, under the pen name “The Blackfriar” (tons of hobbyists at that time wondered who The Blackfriar was but no one ever found out to our knowledge … so this is a first for you … Albert "was" and "is" The Blackfriar, and wrote numerous articles under that pen name

Albert spoke at far more Aquarium Society Meetings than he can remember, including some in England, Germany, France, Belgium and Holland, and of course many in the US, and was a guest and "Keynote" Speaker at several MACNA Conferences.

Albert has contributed to our hobby in so many ways, introducing techniques and products that were not in use in the US at the time, and through his books exposing hobbyists to approaches of running saltwater and reef aquariums that were based on best practices used in other Countries (mainly Europe and the Far East), but also by bringing products and equipment to the market that were not used in the Hobby before he did so. He introduced several products that many still use today such as phosphate, silicate and nitrate removers, pest algae control additives, water clarification additives, denitrating equipment and more, such as ozonizers, Redox/ORP controllers, Calcium and CO2 reactors etc.

Albert was born in Belgium, came to the US in late 1979 and worked for a few years for large US Companies before starting Thiel AquaTech. Thiel Aqua Tech was the cutting edge Company at that time and originated, or brought to the market almost all of our modern supplements and equipment.

Thiel Aqua Tech began back in the mid 1980’s and ran it till 1996 at which time Albert sold the Company as well as the web site he ran for many many years (http://www.athiel.com Unfortunately the purchaser did not focus on the business and made a number of mistakes, and upset quite a few hobbyists, and basically ran the company in the ground (the web site was also not updated any longer but as a side note, it still contains a large amount of information in its various libraries that is sill applicable today in 2012.

Albert points out that by going to the main page of the site and on the top left clicking on the search button you can enter topics and usually find several articles or postings on that topic, some by Albert and some by other Authors or saltwater and reef experts.

Thiel Aqua Tech is responsible for the very first trickle filters brought into this country (originally in glass, but soon after that in acrylic) and introduced many products for the Marine hobby such as Liquid Gold, X-Nitrate, X-Phosphate, KSM, Iodine supplements, X-Silicate, and many many others.

Many of our supplements started with his Company or were improved upon, and so did: Sumps, Refugia, Skimmers, Reactors for all sorts of purposes e.g. KH ones and chemical filtration ones for carbon and other materials, and …. even "Mangrove" usage at a time no one had even heard of doing so (check the website for articles on them). GARF (R.I.P. LeRoy) was soon to follow and advocate their use as well.

Based on his conversations with several German experts and Authors he also introduced the addition and use of "Kalkwasser" as one of the first companies to do so, if not the first.

His interactions with German and other Authors and experts allowed him to not only bring US hobbyists up-to-date on what was happening overseas, but also to develop new products based on all the research he did (e.g. he was the first one to introduce phosphate removers and for those who remember FAMA Magazine introduced it with a stunning advertisement that showed an aquarium the front of which was covered in green algae, and a razor blade being scraped from top to bottom of the front glass to make clear opening … and then underneath in the text asking: “is this the way you rid your tank of Algae” and suggesting that using X-Phosphate was a far better way to go. And it was …. nowadays what he introduced is still used widely, but a new product has since also been introduced: Ferric oxide

We are all pleased to have Albert here on Reef2Reef as the “Go To Guy” for serious information and for any questions you may have.

So if you have any for him, here is the place to post them: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/na...stions-find-information-nano.html#post1157572

Albert_29nano.jpg

Albert Thiel

nanoreefbookcover.jpg

Albert's newest book

Last edited:

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and thanks for looking after the Nano forum.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and thanks for looking after the Nano forum.
Thanks for the kind welcome and I look forward to helping Nano-Reefers with the questions they have, and post to the thread. Glad to be on board. I will be happy to help anyone I can. All you need to do is post your questions here I guess. As I assume that this is the questions and answers thread.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind welcome and I look forward to helping Nano-Reefers with the questions they have, and post to the thread. Glad to be on board. I will be happy to help anyone I can. All you need to do is post your questions here I guess. As I assume that this is the questions and answers thread.
welcome... much thanks for the support. :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Albert, great to have you aboard!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!! :clap2: Welcome to R2R!!

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to have you with us! All the members of R2R will benefit from your knowledge and experience!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard Albert! It is great to have you here... :bigsmile:

-M&T

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Welcome Welcome Albert!! -And thank you for your kind comments on my FS thread!! I look forward to your future contributions!!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Welcome Welcome Albert!! -And thank you for your kind comments on my FS thread!! I look forward to your future contributions!!
Thanks for the kind comments. I appreciate them. Articles will follow as soon as I finish proofreading my new book, which should take me another 2 days or so and then I'll put some articles together for the forum here as soon as I know where to upload them to :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back