How to use a carbon filter?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this thread I want to cover two things: What is a carbon filter and how do you clean it?

So what is a carbon filter?

AKA, Activated carbon filter.

A carbon filter can be any canister filter filled with carbon. I use a Marineland hang on back filter for this purpose. Filter media should be replaced every two to three weeks and the filter itself should be scrubbed clean every time you replace the media.

11238fe1.jpg

Carbon filtering is a method of filtering that uses pieces of activated carbon to remove contaminants and impurities, utilizing chemical adsorption. This carbon is generally activated with a positive charge and is designed to attract negatively charged water contaminants. Carbon filtering is commonly used for water purification, but is also used in air purifiers.

Carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from water. They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds.

OK now to clean a carbon filter is a breeze. Activated carbon should be replaced every two to three weeks for optimal performance.

First off clean out your sink, you will be getting down and dirty in there. Then lay a bath towel on the counter top. You will have quite a few parts to sit on it.

When you remove your canister filter from the tank after use it should look like this.

1160a583.jpg

The white stuff on the tubes is called salt creep you need to wash this off as it can be harmful if it falls on your corals when the filter is added back on the tank.

Next you will open the canister and there is an O ring in the top of most canisters. If it has any algae or debris on it you will need to wash it off.

e3618489.jpg

I check the insides of my filter for any little guys in there, you can see here I have found a Stomatella snail in it. I have also found one of my Green Chromis Damsels in there before.This little guy got a free ride into my sump.

b69b7035.jpg

Center tube removed, looking down into the filter. Lots of detritus here.

c19e2db5.jpg

Ok here is the carbon container, notice the screen. Dump all used carbon in the trash, it is completely shot, don't try to reuse it.

2dcacab2.jpg

Here is all the components all washed up and clean. Now I am ready to add new carbon to the filter.

aeabe2e2.jpg

I fill the screen container full to the top and then wash it clean with RODI water, there will be a lot of carbon dust in there and you don't want it in your tank. Notice the dust in the water being washed out.

01a0a095.jpg

Next reassemble the filter, fill with RODI water. Secure the lid and you are ready to add it back on to the tank and filter away! :bigsmile:

[video]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/skinz78/3330af13.jpg[/video]

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back