Santa Monica Algae Scrubber Results

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I was able to do a group buy through Santa Monica Filtration and wanted to start a thread for those that participated to share experiences with them.

ychan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plug in the power 2 days ago. Will update in one week. Overall, very easy to setup.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2229.jpg
if the GHA not grow here, where it grow!!

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these scrubbers just curious because I'm thinking about getting one but don't know whether to get a hang on glass or the other kinds

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine, I have the .6 and .2 drop models. My biggest issue with these is that I wish there was a quick disconnect on the power and air line. This is from 2 weeks of running
20171205_185537.jpg

RArnone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drop is still producing black versus green algae. Haven’t found the best light timing yet either.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these different ones go onto your sump or whatever because this is the first sump that I've had so far

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these different ones go onto your sump or whatever because this is the first sump that I've had so far
The drop unit is the rear chamber of my RSM 130D AIO ...The drop units can literally drop into any part of your sump as they are self contained

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
display tank pics need to be included here, before and after invasion pics if applicable. when SM ATS were new on the scene a few years ago, the minority of purchasers were buying these for prevention of algae, and to allow more feeding which they do well, and the bulk were buying them in response to an algae invasion.

if that's the case here, it would be helpful to see display tank before and afters.

if there are no invasion issues at stake, its helpful to post how much extra feed you've been able to input as the result of plant binding, ats shine really well there.

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae outbreak.....I originally was running the .2 model when i started my tank as means of nutrient export. The only pix i have are in my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/santa-monica-algae-scrubber-results.182297/#post-4297109. I don't really measure how much food i offer, but i do offer a mixed variety. 1x per day they get either pellets, frozen food or one of the reef-nutrition items. About a month ago i decided to take off the .2 and then add the .6 model

Last edited:

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well to start the algae growth that's what i did as well, but afterwards you'll need to set the light on a schedule....im guessing that's why you're getting that blackish algae....its being blasted too much time without "rest". For me i just run it opposite of my tanks lighting schedule to keep it simple.

Im no expert on these things...but this method has worked for me

RArnone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well to start the algae growth that's what i did as well, but afterwards you'll need to set the light on a schedule....im guessing that's why you're getting that blackish algae....its being blasted too much time without "rest". For me i just run it opposite of my tanks lighting schedule to keep it simple.

Im no expert on these things...but this method has worked for me

Thanks. I’ll adjust them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back