Coral's for Beginners

VB68

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, My tank is 100 gal (60" long x 19" wide x 20" deep). I have a Hamilton Tech CEBU Sun light fixture (2-175w MH, 4-80w T5's). The light sits 11" off the water surface. In about 8 weeks I will be ready to start it up. I have been looking around at all the different types of corals( It is mind boggling). I'm trying to get an idea( make a wish list) of what I can keep with this setup. Would like to have color, unique shapes, easy to carefore( at least until I get my feet wet, so to speek) and just plain cool pieces. So, I am coming to the people who have been there before, for some ideas. What have you had good luck with, what you would suggest, what to stay away from....... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is my one piece of advice for you good sir. Almost everyone makes this mistake. When you pick your first corals take into extreme consideration the growth rate of said coral and what it may look like as it grows out. People alllwaaayyss pick up corals like Xenia, green star polyps, random palythoas and the list goes on and on. these things aren't necessarily bad if you truly like them however when people start out they are a little hesitant and just trying to add some things to their tank. Corals I listed above generally out compete everything else and can take over. Just read read read on the kinds of corals you like and im sure you'll be ok :). oh and for what its worth I got some Xenia when I first started and I ended up throwing it away because it grew so fast and i wanted to start adding cool corals like SPS and LPS.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't beat zoanthids/palythoa for variety of color and ease of care. Most LPS, like Favia, Favites, Platygyra, etc. also come in a wide variety of colors and are only slightly more difficult than zoas/palys, but I find regular water changes are generally enough to support them unless the tank is very heavily stocked. Caulastrea has a nice branching shape and is an LPS coral. Plate corals are great on the sand bed. Torches, hammers, and frogspawn add a lot of motion and are easy as well. Even though many consider them to be SPS, I lump Pavona maldivensis and many Hydnophora in with the LPS as I have had success keeping them with other LPS and doing nothing other than what I would for LPS. Some Montipora could be put in this category as well. Mainly, stay away from Acropora, and probably most Montipora until your tank has been running and stable for many months and you feel comfortable. At first it's best to add an inexpensive piece or two and see if you can make it thrive. If you can, then start building your collection. Hope this helps. There are lots of choices, and ultimately it comes down to what really catches your eye and your vision of what you want your tank to be.

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that set up and proper maintenance you should be able to keep anything. Be choosy and get what you really want.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much any LPS/zoas/palys will do fine in your tank. After you master these, try out some easier SPS like birdsnest. ;)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back