Bio Pellets & High Alk levels

jbb_00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off , if this is in the wrong section I apologize . Feel free to move to the appropriate area.

I am in the process of "restarting" a 90g reef (crash after a move) , and I am debating on running pellets. I have been in the hobby for around 11 years, but my knowledge on pellets is VERY limited. I read a lot of threads saying that you really should be hitting NSW parameters (alk mainly) if running pellets, but I'm wondering if running a lesser amount of pellets than recommended can still be effective while keeping elevated Alk levels. as it sits I am in the 12dKh neighborhood , and I wonder if I would just be better off running GFO/ Carbon , or maybe just a refugium. To me the pellets are just a cleaner look, and seem to be less maintenance which works well for me since I travel for work (usually 3-4 days at a time , once / twice per month) .

Thanks in advance.

If I'm crazy please feel free to let me know.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you want to run lower alk with Carbon dosing (vinigaer, vodka, biopellets) is that you my end up with Alk Burn.
Biopellets are just for reducing Phosphates/Nitrates.

OP
OP
jbb_00

jbb_00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you want to run lower alk with Carbon dosing (vinigaer, vodka, biopellets) is that you my end up with Alk Burn.
Biopellets are just for reducing Phosphates/Nitrates.

I understand what they are for , and the reason for lower alk . My question was is there a way to run a lower amount of pellets , still get the reduction in trates/phates , and not burn anything with my current alk levels. I'm not looking to go ULN , just wondering if there was a happy middle.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably could but it's a fine line. I'd explore other options like macro algae or turf scrubber first if you want to keep a higher Alk

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back