Lowering alk in new tank to match before moving live stock.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new WB LX 330.7 up and running and am getting ready to start moving coral over from my 8 year old 180g. My alk in the 180 runs 8.7 give or take a point or two. The new tank has alk of 10.7 which is about where my salt mix measures. I think lowering the alk in the new tank to match the mature tank is the route to go for the corals benefit. I'm open to suggestions if this is not the best route. I need to reduce the alk in about 285 gallons of tank water and wonder what method would be best. I do have a fish in and a few softies so I don't want to drop it to fast. I'll calculate consumption and dosing once I get the coral over to the new tank.

Everything here
PXL_20240222_233233684.jpg

Will be going here.
PXL_20240318_233516707.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i saw your post in tank thread. I was wondering why the difference are you using a different salt? Or?
I personally think going to opposite way would be better honestly. But you can lower it using muriatic acid. Is this safe for fish and corals no idea. Had a friend long ago with a very nice sps tank. He liked aspects of using RC but hated the high alk. He used muriatic acid to bring down alk before water changes.
Just one i found might be helpful.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i saw your post in tank thread. I was wondering why the difference are you using a different salt? Or?
I personally think going to opposite way would be better honestly. But you can lower it using muriatic acid. Is this safe for fish and corals no idea. Had a friend long ago with a very nice sps tank. He liked aspects of using RC but hated the high alk. He used muriatic acid to bring down alk before water changes.
Just one i found might be helpful.
I believe the difference is caused by the old tank consuming alk which keeps it lower. My water changes are small enough that they don't raise alk when performed or if so its negligible. I mix reef crystals and instant ocean and the new system is mostly fresh mix so its higher. To be honest I never gave it a thought because I haven't measured alk in a fresh batch of water in years :face-with-hand-over-mouth: In hindsight I should have lowered the alk before adding the water to the tank.
Maybe I can drain some into brutes and lower it then add it back and do this over time :thinking-face:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the difference is caused by the old tank consuming alk which keeps it lower. My water changes are small enough that they don't raise alk when performed or if so its negligible. I mix reef crystals and instant ocean and the new system is mostly fresh mix so its higher. To be honest I never gave it a thought because I haven't measured alk in a fresh batch of water in years :face-with-hand-over-mouth: In hindsight I should have lowered the alk before adding the water to the tank.
Maybe I can drain some into brutes and lower it then add it back and do this over time :thinking-face:
I would hesitate to do it in tank. That sounds like a better option. I just thought about this I have another friend that has a saltwater swimming pool and they use muriatic acid to drop the alk also. Cant swim in it for 48hrs after.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hesitate to do it in tank. That sounds like a better option. I just thought about this I have another friend that has a saltwater swimming pool and they use muriatic acid to drop the alk also. Cant swim in it for 48hrs after.

I'm thinking about bringing up two brutes on wheels and do 30 gallon swap outs once a day for a while. I would think I could equalize them over time that way :thinking-face: Tanks are in the same room and I'm not worried about disease transfer or anything like that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back