If you own a Hanna Alk checker I suggest buying these! I almost lowered my already low Alk! May have saved my tank!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been getting Crazy high alk readings from Fritz blue lately!

To make a long story short I had some of these but thought they were expired since I had them for years! I even put a post out and spoke with Randy Holmes Farley about lowering my alk!

Turns out my Hanna checker is giving me crazy false high readings! The guy from tech support was even floored that it was so off!

Do you self a favor before you make any drastic changes in alk and buy these first! Best 13 bucks every spent!

hanna.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To make a long story short I had some of these but thought they were expired since I had them for years! I even put a post out and spoke with Randy Holmes Farley about lowering my alk!

Turns out my Hanna checker is giving me crazy false high readings! The guy from tech support was even floored that it was so off!

Do you self a favor before you make any drastic changes in alk and buy these first! Best 13 bucks every spent!

hanna.jpg
Lol. It is always odd when folks report high stuff in a salt mix. Glad you found the cause :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first thread I've ever seen where the optical absorbance was actually the issue.
As a general rule, the digital eyeball is almost never the problem with a weird reading. It's more like 70% "chemistry is hard" (chemical test error of some kind), and 30% "actual bad water parameters." I guess there's a 1% "digital eyeball failure"

(most people won't find that calibration with the color standard vials solve their issue. But I'm glad it resolved your issue.)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These only check the checker itself, they don't check whether your reagent is completely off. If you only use these, you still can't trust the results, reagents are bad way more often, that's why that employee was surprised.

Getting these is fine if you want to troubleshoot that, but rather than buying these for every test, why not buy a reference solution (artificial seawater with parameters printed on the bottle) and run actual tests on that.

That way you check the reagents too, not just the electronics

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These only check the checker itself, they don't check whether your reagent is completely off. If you only use these, you still can't trust the results, reagents are bad way more often, that's why that employee was surprised.

Getting these is fine if you want to troubleshoot that, but rather than buying these for every test, why not buy a reference solution (artificial seawater with parameters printed on the bottle) and run actual tests on that.

That way you check the reagents too, not just the electronics
I only bought one for alk. It was almost 4 years ago I think. I remember buying them from Hanna and not sure why. I must have been having problems with meter as well back then.

Saltwater aquarium has them very cheap though and I always have at least two different regents that arrived at different times both regents telling me the same thing. Plus took to my LFS and hers saying the same reading as well!

I also bought a ppm by mistake with solution and verified with that and converted until my new one arrives. To many things telling me its off and by over 1 dkh. Honestly I think I bought it like that and thats why I was getting such high readings from every batch and box of Fritz salt!

Pretty handy if you ask me but dont know about buying again now that you mentioned saltwater reference solution! If I could buy that cheap and checks all my testers that would be awesome.! Where do you buy this from? Never heard of it being sold?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only bought one for alk. It was almost 4 years ago I think. I remember buying them from Hanna and not sure why. I must have been having problems with meter as well back then.

Saltwater aquarium has them very cheap though and I always have at least two different regents that arrived at different times both regents telling me the same thing. Plus took to my LFS and hers saying the same reading as well!

I also bought a ppm by mistake with solution and verified with that and converted until my new one arrives. To many things telling me its off and by over 1 dkh. Honestly I think I bought it like that and thats why I was getting such high readings from every batch and box of Fritz salt!

Pretty handy if you ask me but dont know about buying again now that you mentioned saltwater reference solution! If I could buy that cheap and checks all my testers that would be awesome.! Where do you buy this from? Never heard of it being sold?
i use DSR reference for ~10€, covers all tests i have. not sure if that's available in the US and for what price, fauna marin and probably many other big companies make them too

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk testing has a high priority for me so I have triple redundancy in checking if something is amiss 2 Hanna’s , Trident plus reference solutions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 8

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reference test for my PO4 ULR. What I do use it for all the time, is when I mess up the test and need to do a C1 reference again. IE; quick push instead of long..

What did you buy?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you buy?
Just the reference test for the actual meter itself. Comes with two curvettes. One filled with RODI or 35ppt reference (clear) and the other is a standard, in my case it is a .4. Like someone pointed out it only test if the meter is working at the proper calibration.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

hanna.jpg
What am I looking at? Some sort of calibration kit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the reference test for the actual meter itself. Comes with two curvettes. One filled with RODI or 35ppt reference (clear) and the other is a standard, in my case it is a .4. Like someone pointed out it only test if the meter is working at the proper calibration.
Gotcha. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back