Best Care Ideas for Zoas

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am new to saltwater and just building my coral collection. Zoas are next as i need soem rock cover and love the colors, but what is the feeding or care instruction relative to other corals?
thanks for love the help and site.

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a little hard to get most zoas to "close up" on the foods. If you make a home made food, you can blend it really small. Cyclopese is a good choice, brine shrimp is good as well. I use Reef Nutrition products for my tank and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Oyster Feast and Phyto Feast.

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on blending. I put a small cube of oyster eggs, rods, cyclopeze, and baby brine and blend the crap out of it. I keep the pumps on for a few seconds to scatter the cloud, and then turn off all flow and let the little particles float down to the zoas. I guess when they get a particle they close to eat it as I see see polys opening and closing

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense....kill all flow...get baster....mysis....and feed. I never had an issue with any zoanthid target feeding in this fashion....its flow of almost any sort that make it hard as zoas don't feed like that IME.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the question as I believe you are asking its like this....everything sps likes zoas don't....sps likes clean water....zoas dirty....sps high light....most zoas will do OK in either.....some thrive in high others in low. Really depends on species.....there is really no need to feed....they feed themselves from your water and light.....I guess rule of thumb is mid tank and down and low to medium flow.

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense back at you, when I squirt the food to target feed the flow hitting them shuts them, but if you have a good touch and they like it, then cool, but why say nonsense at a way to feed that someone else finds that works?

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
different things work for different people, what ever works for you is cool

Last edited:

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense back at you, when I squirt the food to target feed the flow hitting them shuts them, but if you have a good touch and they like it, then cool, but why say nonsense at a way to feed that someone else finds that works?

I meant to insult....but I do like the back at you.

different things work for different people, what ever works for you is cool

I totally agree. I think I have a good touch. But then again I am stubborn and have often considered researching an inject-able food for them to ensure growth....but I must admit I have a problem....

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, no offense to you and none taken by me, a long day for sure for me and I don't want to end it arguing about a difference in ways to feed zoas

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all is good. I believe I come off kind of harsh at time to those who don't know me or know my sense of humor. VERY seldom do I mean any insult or disrespect...when I do it would be quite obvious. If it isn't it isn't implied....but it is hard to know that sitting how ever miles away from me that you are sitting this reading text on a computer screen.....comes off better if you use a lot of these though:tongue:

Stickyhops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin Zoa food or reef roids. I cut the pumps and let the power heads feed the zoas/palys in the whole tank. All my gorgonians love this too! Do for about 30 min 1 hour after main lights turn off and moon lights kick on.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back