10 days Chaeto growth

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wander if it’s actually a different species but looks the same. Convergent evolution? (If you believe that sort of thing ;) )
Lol

The more likely case is that I have mis identified the macro. I got it from a local reefer in my club so who knows what it is lol.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get some off you mate that would be awesome! PM me when you have some spare :)

I did find a PDF but no map, could you please attach for me?

I live near Mandurah but have never seen it but I didn’t realise it lived locally so I’ll keep an eye out for other populations!

Hey Jase
I tried that estuarine Chaeto and it's bad. Tried) many things (lighting especially) but it goes rotten.

So I found http://www.oceanarium.com.au/viewcat.toy?cid=507115

They are situated up near Moore River about 2 hour drive north but deliver to Perth NOR and SOR plus Australia wide. Delivery is FAST and inexpensive. These folks know their stuff. Check it out. They sell a range of live reef and developers stuff (live Mysid for one).

The Caulerpa they sell doesn't go sexual and doesn't require reverse cycle lighting. It's called Paddle Caulerpa and not one of the ones we see anywhere. They have the scientific name on the site. I bought a pack of 500 gram and it is amazing stuff for my fuge. When I trim off excess, I put it in the display and my Foxface Rabbitfish eats it like it's candy. I don't think I want to actually grow it in the DT just in case it grows everywhere, not that I'd mind if the tank wasn't so tall - I need a stepladder to work in it. I have enough work to do ATM and getting old! But, if I had a smaller more accessible aquarium, I'd give it a shot for sure. Anyway, they do have minimum order price. I bought enough to share if you feel like popping up to my place I'll give you some. Being new here, not sure if you can PM me. But feel free to reply here. PM if you can (let me know if you can't and I'll fix my settings). I'll send you my contact details.
Hope this helps you.

PS I just went to the site and it's called
Scientific name: Caulerpa brachypus
Cheers

Last edited:

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jase
I tried that estuarine Chaeto and it's bad. Tried) many things (lighting especially) but it goes rotten.

So I found http://www.oceanarium.com.au/viewcat.toy?cid=507115

They are situated up near Moore River about 2 hour drive north but deliver to Perth NOR and SOR plus Australia wide. Delivery is FAST and inexpensive. These folks know their stuff. Check it out. They sell a range of live reef and developers stuff (live Mysid for one).

The Caulerpa they sell doesn't go sexual and doesn't require reverse cycle lighting. It's called Paddle Caulerpa and not one of the ones we see anywhere. They have the scientific name on the site. I bought a pack of 500 gram and it is amazing stuff for my fuge. When I trim off excess, I put it in the display and my Foxface Rabbitfish eats it like it's candy. I don't think I want to actually grow it in the DT just in case it grows everywhere, not that I'd mind if the tank wasn't so tall - I need a stepladder to work in it. I have enough work to do ATM and getting old! But, if I had a smaller more accessible aquarium, I'd give it a shot for sure. Anyway, they do have minimum order price. I bought enough to share if you feel like popping up to my place I'll give you some. Being new here, not sure if you can PM me. But feel free to reply here. PM if you can (let me know if you can't and I'll fix my settings). I'll send you my contact details.
Hope this helps you.

PS I just went to the site and it's called
Scientific name: Caulerpa brachypus
Cheers
Hey!

Thanks for responding mate. Good to know about the local chaeto! Shame though.

I just took delivery of my RSRxxl750 from Ocean Reefs Marine (Perth) and the staff member that delivered it did say they occasionally have chaeto when I asked him so hopefully in a few months when I go there they have some. Might call ahead..

I purchased and grew the Oceanarium paddle Caulerpa years ago and it is great stuff and definitely does not go sexual. I’ll use it at a last resort but I’m hoping to keep my sump as clean as possible and that’s what I like about chaeto, no bottom substrate so I can keep an eye on detritus build up and vacuum if I need.

If I get some chaeto that is good I’ll be happy to share with you.

Cheers

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

Thanks for responding mate. Good to know about the local chaeto! Shame though.

I just took delivery of my RSRxxl750 from Ocean Reefs Marine (Perth) and the staff member that delivered it did say they occasionally have chaeto when I asked him so hopefully in a few months when I go there they have some. Might call ahead..

I purchased and grew the Oceanarium paddle Caulerpa years ago and it is great stuff and definitely does not go sexual. I’ll use it at a last resort but I’m hoping to keep my sump as clean as possible and that’s what I like about chaeto, no bottom substrate so I can keep an eye on detritus build up and vacuum if I need.

If I get some chaeto that is good I’ll be happy to share with you.

Cheers
Not a problem. We're all in this to share knowledge and things we'd rather give to another reefer than throw it away.
I wrote to Peter up at oceanariun to ask if I need substrate to grow this in the refugium he said it didn't matter. I don't have any in mine either and would rather keep it that way. It is thriving and tumbling around too. But I'm going to keep an eye on it just in case it decides to go rotten.
I always prefer Chaeto and sure most of us do too. Right now things are going well. My clownfish bred last week and hatch might was last night. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to rear the fry, let alone collect eggs off a huge vertical rock right behind anemone tentacles! I didn't have a Vossen trap either so I stuck tubing on a small funnel and pulled out hundreds after midnight. Then I got the air pump out and it was dead. Bad luck. I was up all night trying to fix it but I gave up at dawn. By then most of the fry were dying. Very unfortunate but I learned a lesson. You can't wing it when trying to breed salties. It takes passion, perseverance and planning ahead. Next clutch of eggs will (hopefully) be layed on a 4 x 4 tile that I'm putting at the same spot they layed before. If they do, I'll have a rearing tank ready for the tile with eggs. The LFS folks I spoke with reckon it's a full on passion and lots of others give up. The cost of rotifers, phytoplankton and all the other gear needs to be taken into account too. After last night's experience, I'm still in two minds.
So, yea. Looks like we both need to see how things go. We'll just play it by ear withr regard to macroalgae. I'll be watching my Caulerpa closely though. Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers
Bill

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem. We're all in this to share knowledge and things we'd rather give to another reefer than throw it away.
I wrote to Peter up at oceanariun to ask if I need substrate to grow this in the refugium he said it didn't matter. I don't have any in mine either and would rather keep it that way. It is thriving and tumbling around too. But I'm going to keep an eye on it just in case it decides to go rotten.
I always prefer Chaeto and sure most of us do too. Right now things are going well. My clownfish bred last week and hatch might was last night. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to rear the fry, let alone collect eggs off a huge vertical rock right behind anemone tentacles! I didn't have a Vossen trap either so I stuck tubing on a small funnel and pulled out hundreds after midnight. Then I got the air pump out and it was dead. Bad luck. I was up all night trying to fix it but I gave up at dawn. By then most of the fry were dying. Very unfortunate but I learned a lesson. You can't wing it when trying to breed salties. It takes passion, perseverance and planning ahead. Next clutch of eggs will (hopefully) be layed on a 4 x 4 tile that I'm putting at the same spot they layed before. If they do, I'll have a rearing tank ready for the tile with eggs. The LFS folks I spoke with reckon it's a full on passion and lots of others give up. The cost of rotifers, phytoplankton and all the other gear needs to be taken into account too. After last night's experience, I'm still in two minds.
So, yea. Looks like we both need to see how things go. We'll just play it by ear withr regard to macroalgae. I'll be watching my Caulerpa closely though. Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers
Bill
Very interested to hear how you go with your clowns breeding! Do you have a build thread or pics of your setup? Hmm if substrate is not required to grow the paddle caulerpa it is definitely a more attractive option. I’ll still try and get some Chaeto first though.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the reply from my asking if I needed substrate for the paddle Caulerpa. He also offered to advise on my clown breeding. Unfortunately all the fry didn't make it this time. I simply wasn't prepared. I will start a thread in the breeding forum here with pics of my set up - and planned changes. Anyway, here's that reply. I'm still not giving up on finding Chaeto though. Finding it is very difficult and when I ask about it at every LFS I visited (spent heaps too) they just go quiet. I haven't been to ocean reef though. Whomever has Chaeto in WA isn't sharing for some reason. I can only guess they're either not doing well with it or are frightened off by environmental restrictions. Quarantine will not allow it past the WA borders.
--------—---------------------------------------------

Hi Bill,

There are many species of caulerpa and we have tried a lot of them. Most as you say can go sexual, but this one does not under normal circumstances. I have it in continual growth cycle for well over a decade with no issue in multiple tanks. No need for mud or sand it can grow freely in the water column. I usually start it on the substrate, but if un tended it will grow towards the light and grow so thick the light does not reach the bottom so the weed is only mid water.

I have found it is quite adept under a wide range of lighting conditions.

There would be some pods within it already.

Let me know if you want any advice on the clowns, we used to grow them for many years.

Pete

To: Oceanarium
Subject: Re: Caulerpa care

Hello Peter

I've been trying to find info on Paddle Caulerpa with no luck (is there a Latin name for your Caulerpa?). Everyone on YouTube is saying that Caulerpa goes sexual but your site says otherwise. Probably because they never heard of Paddle Caulerpa in the USA and UK.

Anyway, I have 3 questions for you. I put the bunch I got today into my refugium on its own and it's tumbling freely. It looks very healthy indeed.

1) Should I use my rarely used JAD brand T5 actinic blue (it was expensive all aluminium 30 cm, ~ 2 foot - twin tube unit) over it or will another spectrum (cool white) be better suited?

2) Do I need mud/sand/LR in the 'fuge section with the Caulerpa?

3) Will any 'pods breed in the Caulerpa (are there any in it already - that would be a plus)?

Many thanks,

Bill

Back