ben310135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R members,
I am preparing to get ready to build/transfer my 75-gallon tank into a new 110-gallon tank. A little backstory I started in this hobby about 4 years ago with my 75-gallon tank and made the classic mistake of trying to go the cheap way. I have a canister filter a reef octopus protein skimmer which is made to handle 120-gallon tank. About 150lbs of live Fiji rock. Some Acro sps's and two fish at the moment. I am finishing up my master's degree and unfortunately, time isn't something I have to spend on my tank.

I will be done my masters degree in a few months and have been preparing to do my tank up right. So I have already purchased a 110 gallon drilled tank. I have a apex controller system with dos pumps which I am currently using to dose for the Triton method. I have a life reef CLF1 sump system on preorder for my sump and refugium. I also have some kessil ap700 lights for my tank as well.

I have two main questions and any other suggestions would be appreciated. One is since my sump is taking up all of the space in my stand. How do you guys neatly hid your additional equipment?

The next question I have is what is the best way to transfer from the 75 gallon to the 110 ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the impending upgrade!

I would imagine that you could set up a cabinet / armoire of some sort to house accessories that need to be nearby.

When I recently performed a similar transfer (65 to 220) I leak-tested the plumbing with fresh water, drained, added RO/DI and mixed salt in the tank. Once parameters stabilized, moved liverock from the 65 to the 220 ... and experienced a bacterial bloom that clouded the water for a couple of weeks. Added a few frags ... and experienced a phytoplankton bloom that lasted a couple of months. Meanwhile, the fish were moved to a 75 gallon QT to make absolutely certain that ich or velvet wouldn't be troubling my display any time soon. (I want to have Acanthurus tangs, eventually...) Fish returned to the tank almost a month ago. The remaining sand was rinsed and top-dressed into high-flow areas of the 220 shortly thereafter, and I've just the other day added 60# of Florida Keys aquacultured liverock.

So far, the frags - including acros and a little T. maxima - seem to be doing very well.

One experience . . . not authoritative, but hope it helps!

~Bruce

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back