120 gallon tank on a budget

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I’m 13 years old and from Bangladesh. I was wondering if someone can help we. I‘m planning on setting up a 120 gallon (4 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet) mixed reef tank. can someone give me a list with all the things I need. Please. Any list will help.

ReefingThee813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the same size. My skimmer is a reef octopus xs160, return pump sicce 5.0, and for flow I have a xf130 gyre, mp40, and a jebao (forget the size). Using reef breeder photon 48 for lighting. Good luck!!!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have a fairly large budget, a 120g tank is not going to be very "inexpensive". I have one same size as you posted and have approx $7500 in it. Lighting alone is $1200

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixed reef tank as a beginner, in my opinion, here is all of the equipment you need (everything with a *) and everything that you want. The more important items will be at the top of the list.
1. *Tank with overflow (buy used to save money)
2. *Stand (buy used or build your own to save money)
3. *Return Pump
4. * 2 powerheads (not controlled to save money)
5. *2 heaters (capable of heating a 75-gallon tank, do not get one big one)
6. *Light (a light big enough for a forty breeder is all that you need if you are trying to save money. You will lose some color and growth in your corals but you will have them)
7. * 5-gallon jugs and buckets
8. Testing kits of Alk, Calc, and Mag
9. * Access to RODI and Saltwater, You will need to buy a RODI system if you do not have a place to get these.
10. * Dry or live rock
11. * Tank over (I use egg crate now)
12. Skimmer (save money by going smaller and emptying it more.\)
13. Auto top off.
14. Controller like an apex.
15. Sand
Here is my reef tank that was running on close to as cheap as you can do. With any livestock that you add especially coral go cheap to start, no matter how good you are, it is tough to keep things alive. I am not the most experienced or talented reefer but feel free to ask any questions.

Here is an estimate of my coral's that I got that are still around:
2017 1/2 soft corals only
2018 1/9 all hard corals
2019 10/20 mix of hard and soft
2020 2/3 all hard coral
2021 7/7 all hard

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R. @swebb gave you a pretty good list. Suggest you do additional research here on R2R and YouTube videos, especially the ones by Bulk Reef Supply (BRS). Unless you already have the tank you may want to start with a smaller size, would take some cost out of the equipment, salt use, etc. and be a little easier to manage for a first tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there is no budget to be had. Startup costs at MINIMUM would be at least $1,000

Absolute minimum would require every piece of equipment to be in used condition from a Seller getting out of the hobby

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a budget a reef tank isn't in your future
I'm on a budget for now. When I get corals and other inverts, I will upgrade my equipments. I'm 13 years old and have been saving money for quite a ling time, I saved 800 usd and my parents agreed to give me an extra 800 usd.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in essence you have $1600 to spend. That's not bad, but as mentioned, you are going to be limited to used equipment for almost everything. This does not even consider the cost of livestock! It is amazing how fast things add up. I am using my existing 55G tank, canister filter, and stand. I am already near your top end just in required equipment (rock, substrate, salt, RODI, testers, refractometer, skimmer, LIGHTS!!) and I have not even put a drop of water into this tank yet. That said, I bought almost everything new. You can likely save a fortune if you can find what you need used.

Good luck,
Steve

tinypasteles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a few months ago, it’s hard to stay in budget. Do your homework, search the equipment around and be patient. I bought too many things too soon and spent more money upgrading them a month later. Get the best salt, light and heater possible, the rest you can find acceptable options for you just have to search for them. Good luck and have fun!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I STRONGLY advise against starting a reef tank now. Consider a fish only system. You can create a beautiful tank that will be impressive to you and your friends for a fraction of the cost a reef system will cost. 120 gallons is a perfect size for a predator tank! Lions, groupers, triggers ect ect.. all are beautiful and will fit your budget MUCH better than a reef.

So far we have only discussed set-up cost. No mention yet of the cost of maintaining a reef!! Just like buying a car, the cost of the car is one thing, but consider: Insurance, gas, oil changes, repairs, ect ect... buying a car is easy.. OWNING a car is not. same concept here.. A reef tank is basically a big glass box in your room that you continually throw money into!!

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The important thing is to not get discouraged, and then all the joy gets lost. Even one cool fish swimming in water around his rock can be fun! Then it slowly builds from there. Best wishes. ;Cat

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 That is a brilliant idea!! That will lower the cost of lighting and other equipment costs. You can start out as a Fish Only then gradually add live rock, and down the road expand. If I were starting over with fish, I would have LOVED to do a predator tank. Lionfish are awesome. (Just wear protective gloves - don't get stung)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back