Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"SPBLAMMMED"... :) @Scratch08
IMG_20220818_125922_135.jpg

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like I missed all the fun last night.
I passed out with an open dialog box for picking an image... woke up later and dragged my sorry wrasse upstairs.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a couple favorites over from the evo to the cube today. Including this beauty :star-struck:
8DB3BD60-FEB5-4E0D-A40D-6E238268E292.jpeg

Still working on the placement of things. Especially the weeping leather. The top is reserved for the hammers. If I decide to not completely redo the scape.
The new candy cane will likely go where the hammer skeleton is sitting. I moved it out of the way and forgot I left it up there.
5FAED3B1-D073-419A-85D0-F4C119645445.jpeg

GHA is still trying to come back. :angry-face: PO4 last night was around .035.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I moved a couple favorites over from the evo to the cube today. Including this beauty :star-struck:
8DB3BD60-FEB5-4E0D-A40D-6E238268E292.jpeg

Still working on the placement of things. Especially the weeping leather. The top is reserved for the hammers. If I decide to not completely redo the scape.
The new candy cane will likely go where the hammer skeleton is sitting. I moved it out of the way and forgot I left it up there.
5FAED3B1-D073-419A-85D0-F4C119645445.jpeg

GHA is still trying to come back. :angry-face: PO4 last night was around .035.
wow that toadstool has gotten huge!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that toadstool has gotten huge!
Both the leathers have gotten ginormous
491DB6A2-8C3E-4BF2-BC6D-494BAC214EFC.jpeg

I think I’m going to move the weeping to the back left corner and it can peak over the back of the rock when it is tall enough. It’s already pretty much there.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news bears for me this morning. I took some time to look at our floor joists, the span (13 ft) and the support beams below. The wall I was considering putting the tank on runs perpendicular to the floor joists, is a load bearing wall that runs the length of the room down below AND it has a steel beam that supports the joists between the two floors. This steel beam runs the entire length of the house.
759ADAEA-038A-49BC-AD1A-91394261A6AF.png
Photo of the steel beam supporting the joists in the small unfinished area of my basement. This is below my garage entry door so not where I am putting the tank. The beams pops out on the other side of the house in a separate unfinished area also not where I am putting the tank above.
6CABD7B9-D59A-4832-8671-9C4C4141994E.jpeg

I was excited when I found this because I thought the steel support would mean I could do the large tank without having to use joist jacks for added support. Anywhere in the front room would mean installing those in my finished red room below it. I got a call from the framer after sending him all the info that his salesmen still says I would need to double up the floor joists for that amount of weight.
too good to be true disney GIF
Any of you experts out there look at the above info and think “no way! That could be a mistake in advice”, and that I should try to find a second opinion? I’m just bummed but also not looking to have a tank come crashing through the floor.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news bears for me this morning. I took some time to look at our floor joists, the span (13 ft) and the support beams below. The wall I was considering putting the tank on runs perpendicular to the floor joists, is a load bearing wall that runs the length of the room down below AND it has a steel beam that supports the joists between the two floors. This steel beam runs the entire length of the house.
759ADAEA-038A-49BC-AD1A-91394261A6AF.png
Photo of the steel beam supporting the joists in the small unfinished area of my basement. This is below my garage entry door so not where I am putting the tank. The beams pops out on the other side of the house in a separate unfinished area also not where I am putting the tank above.
6CABD7B9-D59A-4832-8671-9C4C4141994E.jpeg

I was excited when I found this because I thought the steel support would mean I could do the large tank without having to use joist jacks for added support. Anywhere in the front room would mean installing those in my finished red room below it. I got a call from the framer after sending him all the info that his salesmen still says I would need to double up the floor joists for that amount of weight.
too good to be true disney GIF
Any of your experts out there look at the above info and think “no way! That could be a mistake in advice”, and that I should try to find a second opinion? I’m just bummed but also not looking to have a tank come crashing through the floor.

Is that a 6 or 8-inch steel beam?

edit: and how tall to you want the tank?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 6 or 8-inch steel beam?

edit: and how tall to you want the tank?
I'll have to measure when I get home, but since it looks almost the same height as the floor joists I would venture to say its a 8".

I was thinking max height for the tank would be 24" no matter what size length I go. Framer also said the weight was calculated from my info to be 40 pounds per square or 10 pounds per dead load but wasn't sure exactly what that meant as it relates to my situation. Does that sound right considering where in the room I want it to go? It's not like I want it in the middle of the 13' span.

edit to add: husband says its 8" inches

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll have to measure when I get home, but since it looks almost the same height as the floor joists I would venture to say its a 8".

I was thinking max height for the tank would be 24" no matter what size length I go. Framer also said the weight was calculated from my info to be 40 pounds per square or 10 pounds per dead load but wasn't sure exactly what that meant as it relates to my situation. Does that sound right considering where in the room I want it to go? It's not like I want it in the middle of the 13' span.

edit to add: husband says its 8" inches
From the diagram it looks like the tank will be up against the wall which is supported by the steel beam right?
Then in the photo of the steel beam it looks like you're about 2' away from the beam right? so you're standing directly underneath where the tank would be. that is unfinished so it looks to me like you could put jack-stands under the tank where you have it drawn based on that photo of the beam.

If anything, I would put blocks perpendicular to the joists under the tank to keep them from twisting.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the diagram it looks like the tank will be up against the wall which is supported by the steel beam right?
Then in the photo of the steel beam it looks like you're about 2' away from the beam right? so you're standing directly underneath where the tank would be. that is unfinished so it looks to me like you could put jack-stands under the tank where you have it drawn based on that photo of the beam.

If anything, I would put blocks perpendicular to the joists under the tank to keep them from twisting.
In the photo with the beam, is not where the tank will go. Its actually on the opposite side of the house. There is no were to access the joists or the beam under any wall in the front room (where I have the tank drawn) without tearing out drywall. :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back