OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 76 Update

Happy hump day everyone! Made a little trip to my LFS today for some CUC. I particularly wanted a tiger conch, ended up buying a few more things! I also got another Astraea snail (saving $$$ because those trochus add up), 2 more red-legged hermits, and 2 more nassarius (total of three so far). The tiger conch is super cool, very happy I got this fella. So neat seeing him cruise around the sandbed.

I also did pick up a coral. I was considering a frogspawn or acan, but didn't want to spend so much, so I ended up with a candy cane! The turquoise color is super nice and I managed to glue it down without the plug. Let me know what you guys think!

Lastly, my pods and phyto bundle from @Reef By Steele came in today! Going to add my pods when lights go out tonight and already put my first dose of phyto - around 10mL. I might not dose the phyto daily for now in order to prevent an algae bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 38

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Day 76 Update

Happy hump day everyone! Made a little trip to my LFS today for some CUC. I particularly wanted a tiger conch, ended up buying a few more things! I also got another Astraea snail (saving $$$ because those trochus add up), 2 more red-legged hermits, and 2 more nassarius (total of three so far). The tiger conch is super cool, very happy I got this fella. So neat seeing him cruise around the sandbed.

I also did pick up a coral. I was considering a frogspawn or acan, but didn't want to spend so much, so I ended up with a candy cane! The turquoise color is super nice and I managed to glue it down without the plug. Let me know what you guys think!

Lastly, my pods and phyto bundle from @Reef By Steele came in today! Going to add my pods when lights go out tonight and already put my first dose of phyto - around 10mL. I might not dose the phyto daily for now in order to prevent an algae bloom.
Hey, thanks for the shout out. Dosing phytoplankton should not cause an algae bloom. Should help to avoid one, as it should consume the nutrients that an algae bloom would need. But less frequent dosing will not do any harm. Some is always better than done with most positive things we do in our tanks.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone help ID this? I think there might be aiptasia on my new frag. How can I go about this? Should I put glue over it? Lemon juice injection?
Can you get some more white light on it to take a photo? Flashlight or something? If there is even a chance I would scrape/knife/glue/burn, dealers choice on the order lol.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help ID this? I think there might be aiptasia on my new frag. How can I go about this? Should I put glue over it? Lemon juice injection?
I can't tell from the picture, but if it is aptasia, whatever you do to get rid of it do it in a separate bowl of SW. Trust me, lol.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get some more white light on it to take a photo? Flashlight or something? If there is even a chance I would scrape/knife/glue/burn, dealers choice on the order lol.
I can't tell from the picture, but if it is aptasia, whatever you do to get rid of it do it in a separate bowl of SW. Trust me, lol.
It's hard to discern from the pic, doesn't immediately look like aiptasia but could be majano. Put up clearer pics when you get a chance
I'll try and get some better photos today after work (in the afternoon). If I do end up doing something, I'll probably pull it out like Walker suggested. I heard if aiptasia is upset, it can spread quicker.

I was told aiptasia is more clear. This thing is pretty dark, brownish. It's hard to see when I have my powerhead on, but when the flow is turned down, you can see tentacles of something like in the pictures I already put up. I will try and get a different angle of it. Not sure what it could be, not sure if it resembles majano.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 76 Update

These look really great, love the conch!

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lil sumpin @WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Here's a photo. I actually ended up taking the candy cane out, and dipping the base in a hydrogen peroxide solution, and used tweezers as well. I managed to get rid of whatever it was, I think it could have been an aiptasia. It ended up moving lower on the coral.

Attachments

• IMG_4270.JPG
    IMG_4270.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 17

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lil sumpin @WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Here's a photo. I actually ended up taking the candy cane out, and dipping the base in a hydrogen peroxide solution, and used tweezers as well. I managed to get rid of whatever it was, I think it could have been an aiptasia. It ended up moving lower on the coral.
Definitely looks like aiptasia. Glad to hear that you got it off! Aiptaisa can grow back from one cell that was left behind, but hopefully the hydrogen peroxide took care of that.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a before/after the procedure photo. The coral already seemed to have adjusted to my tank and opened up more! Looks super cool. Hoping it recovers back to how it was. I was messaging with @ralquist to get some help and advice haha. Ended up gluing it back down with a little extra glue, but it still looks alright!

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4286.jpeg

Looks like a bit of tissue irritation there. Did you bump the coral there? It should be fine and go back to normal within a week.
Yes I noticed that as well. I was holding the coral by the tissue (with gloves) but it still may have gotten irritated. That's its skeleton right? I hope it'll recover by the end of the week, I'm assuming it will like you said!

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like aiptasia. Glad to hear that you got it off! Aiptaisa can grow back from one cell that was left behind, but hopefully the hydrogen peroxide took care of that.
Yeah, thankful I got the sucker. I really hope it will take care of it... that's insane how they can do that, so frustrating- what a pest. How is your situation with your tank Walker?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back