Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to measure when I get home, but since it looks almost the same height as the floor joists I would venture to say its a 8".

I was thinking max height for the tank would be 24" no matter what size length I go. Framer also said the weight was calculated from my info to be 40 pounds per square or 10 pounds per dead load but wasn't sure exactly what that meant as it relates to my situation. Does that sound right considering where in the room I want it to go? It's not like I want it in the middle of the 13' span.

edit to add: husband says its 8" inches
dead load is just a load that doesn't move. I asked about height because 6x2x3 is 50% more water than 6x2x2. now to see if Dr. Dad has a quick answer. He usually has more questions...

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dead load is just a load that doesn't move. I asked about height because 6x2x3 is 50% more water than 6x2x2. now to see if Dr. Dad has a quick answer. He usually has more questions...
Hahaha. I don't mind answering more questions... thanks so much for being in the middle and helping by ask ing someone that knows a lot about it. I really appreciate any insight Dr. Dad might have. :star-struck:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh ok. so that was a plan of the downstairs, not the upstairs. hah. I dun reed too good.
no that was a plan of the upstairs (main level). Directly below it is all finished rec room. on the other side of that wall is a another finished room. I have two small sections on either side of the my house (not below the "tank room" where I can see the steel beam.
Attached is a very crude drawing of my basement showing the unfinished areas of what I am trying to say. The pink highlighter is the location of the steel beam the joists and support wall sit on. The blue box is just where the tank above on the main level will be sitting above the basment
402FD4FF-27C8-4A28-8DC0-D161A68EFCAB.jpeg

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that was a plan of the upstairs (main level). Directly below it is all finished rec room. on the other side of that wall is a another finished room. I have two small sections on either side of the my house (not below the "tank room" where I can see the steel beam.
Attached is a very crude drawing of my basement showing the unfinished areas of what I am trying to say. The pink highlighter is the location of the steel beam the joists and support wall sit on. The blue box is just where the tank above on the main level will be sitting above the basment
That was 100 percent supposed to say “HVAC”
I have no idea what a HAVC is :rolleyes:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A couple of questions:
1.) What is the span (distance) from the I - Beam (1) to the outer wall (2)? I presume this is an outer wall which is concrete.
2.) If the wall that I presume is an outer wall is actually NOT an outer wall then what is it?
3.) Presuming that 2 is, in fact, an outer wall, then adding 5 sister joists is not that big of a deal.

That was 100 percent supposed to say “HVAC”
I have no idea what a HAVC is :rolleyes:
I simply took it as you misspelling havoc room. You know, where the craziness all takes place. However, after knowing you a short time now it has become readily apparent that EVERY room in your house is a HAVOC room! :p

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions:
1.) What is the span (distance) from the I - Beam (1) to the outer wall (2)? I presume this is an outer wall which is concrete.
2.) If the wall that I presume is an outer wall is actually NOT an outer wall then what is it?
3.) Presuming that 2 is, in fact, an outer wall, then adding 5 sister joists is not that big of a deal.

I simply took it as you misspelling havoc room. You know, where the craziness all takes place. However, after knowing you a short time now it has become readily apparent that EVERY room in your house is a HAVOC room! :p
1. The space is about 13 feet.
2.The wall you presume is an exterior wall block concrete basement.
3. What are sister joists?
Hocus Pocus Witch GIF by Walt Disney Studios
HAVOC”-awwwww, you get me :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I don't mind answering more questions... thanks so much for being in the middle and helping by ask ing someone that knows a lot about it. I really appreciate any insight Dr. Dad might have. :star-struck:
his response after saying he is not enclined to answer as he is not licensed in MD (or in your case Indiana) was
  • Add the steel beam to the drawing with its depth, flange width and flange thickness.
  • Explain: does the upper bearing wall rest on the steel beam?
  • Provide any identifying marks (a photo of the grade stamps) that are on the floor joists that indicate their size and material grade
  • Call a local engineer (someone with a license, not a builder) to evaluate the capacity of the floor for the tank in that position.

Sister joists are a supporting joist attached to the side of an existing one and running the length of the old one.
1674509209873.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks to me sitting on 5 joists, pretty much on top of beam ??
don't see a prob 180 gal tank ??
also, floor hardwood, fake plastic hard wood , carpet ?
worse case scenario ,add hard wood on top of hard wood under tank ,if carpet or pergo ,cut out ,
add 2 layers hard wood ...jmo... ;) :)

how many time's did he say wood...:p
WP_20200408_01_03_19_Pro.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the leathers have gotten ginormous
491DB6A2-8C3E-4BF2-BC6D-494BAC214EFC.jpeg

I think I’m going to move the weeping to the back left corner and it can peak over the back of the rock when it is tall enough. It’s already pretty much there.
Since leathers like your system, tell Jason to cut you off a nub of the Sinularia. It's a dope leather. I cut a 3/4" nub about 8 months ago, and it's already 3" and super filled in.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since leathers like your system, tell Jason to cut you off a nub of the Sinularia. It's a dope leather. I cut a 3/4" nub about 8 months ago, and it's already 3" and super filled in.
I have ap bit of it laying around...

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ap bit of it laying around...
Has yours started throwing any from the base? Ever time the base thickens up, it gets dangly bits...
I think he gave me a frag of that a bit ago. Unfortunately, it got necrosis in my evo and never climbed out of it. I loved the color. I'm down to try again, purely for the dangly bits.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he gave me a frag of that a bit ago. Unfortunately, it got necrosis in my evo and never climbed out of it. I loved the color. I'm down to try again, purely for the dangly bits.

I’m not sure whether to be sad because of the necrosis and loss, happy because you like dangly bits or simply like the post because one cancels the other out! I’m so confused. :p

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the placement of your new larger system and possible needed structural reinforcement; I know what I would be comfortable doing and how I would handle it but I am not a structural engineer. Therefore, and it pains me a little to do so, I’ll have to agree with @Mschmidt and say contact a licensed engineer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back