15 gallon, 7 month old struggle!

madisview

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a very compact 15 gallon tank.(its all i can afford and fit inside my house) i have 10 thriving corals, 1 clam, and two damselfish. I recently added a cherub pygmy angelfish, and it seems to be loving its new home, except for the terrorizing damsels. They have been a bit threatening, but it seems to me like they are settling. my blue devil will try to become dominant and my angelfish refuses to become submissive. the damsels don't actually attack my angel, but they torment its swimming. it usually stays within the large hiding spot i created with my live rock. my tank is about 7 months old, and my damsels have only been in it for about 3 months. should i (try to) take them out, or not bother???

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I would replace the damsels because they are aggressive , go for something like clown fish.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or watchman goby and pistol shrimp is very entertaing to watch
Welcome to R2R. I would replace the damsels because they are aggressive , go for something like clown fish.

OP
OP
M

madisview

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks so much! its just so hard to get those damsels out. my tank is small and compact, and taking out everything like the live rock and such is a little much for me. do damsels fall for fish traps? haha

OP
OP
M

madisview

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anything, i would like to have the angelfish ALONE in that tank. i like the little guy, and i have a cleaner shrimp who seems to be on his team since he often defends him from the damsels.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at You Tube video for fish traps.
thanks so much! its just so hard to get those damsels out. my tank is small and compact, and taking out everything like the live rock and such is a little much for me. do damsels fall for fish traps? haha

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I removed my damsels, I fed the tank at night with the lights out. I had a flashlight in one hand and net in the other, I would shine the flashlight when they came up top to feed and netted them out. It took just about 5 minutes.

OP
OP
M

madisview

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the angelfish has been living in pure luxury all the sudden. it seems to have made companionship with my blue devil damsel... sometimes they will swim side by side and the blue damsel will bring it food. the fish gods must be on my side... :)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When our Bluespot Damsel beat to death a Royal gramma which I managed to catch the Damsel within minutes, just luck I guess. Damsel stayed on a small refugium for a good week. Had to re-arranged the rocks, bought a Bangaii Cardinal fish and added the Damsel back, since then I do not see anymore 24/7 smackdown in our standard 29g tank. Damsel is very territorial. I placed a Scoly almost near his spot and believe it or not he managed to turn over the Scoly couple times and had to moved Scoly away.

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back