180 gallon with a DIY drilled bottom overflow worth the gamble

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any tank / glass experts out there, My wife is has puled the plug on the living room display tank
and gave me a choice between the den or basement. Im taking the basement and need a Transition tank . I found a 180 complete setup used but the draw back is the DIY overflow, bottom drilled.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your concern with a DIY drilled overflow? As long as the tank is intact, and the work looks good, it shouldn't be an issue. If there are obvious visual problems with the tank, then it might not be so good.
I have (as well as many others) drilled several tanks with no problems what so ever. In fact, I don't think I'll ever buy another drilled tank, unless it is fully custom, because most of the standard RR tanks don't have a great overflow system to begin with.

Pictures would help if you want another opinion as to the safety of the tank you're looking at.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, test it outside if possible and on a level surface. Just use some hose water. Leave it for 48 hours and if no leaks you should be good to go.

Back