1st Goniopora!

Bcountry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my first Goniopora! Seems to be doing great so far! Any suggestions for the new kid?
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1385412184.170877.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be tricky. Good flow and medium lighting. Keep up on your water perimeters and water changes. I feed mine once a week with powder coral food. I Turn off all pumps and feed entire tank leaving pumps off for at least 1/2 hour. You will see the polyps close up on the particles. I lost several in the beginning i now have 7 the oldest being at least 3 years old.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! So I guess it's just a rumor about the Goniopora living for a max of 1 year?

Gonipora had a very poor success rate. I really do not know what changed. Maybe our education on how to keep them successfully or maybe the come in more hardy. The encrusting types are more hardy than the typical flowerpot corals. It is hard to say what type you have the encrusting has a flat growth like it was cut from a brick. The other type are roundish skeleton. But i have both and all look great.

OP
OP
B

Bcountry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you for helping me! Do you have any pics of your tank? I'm always wanting to see others tanks

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures i had laying around thought i would share. At first we fed him but then after a while we didnt. Hadd him for 2years. Just passed him down to a friend He has him now. He was suck a pretty thing. The Bone was about 2-3" width when he blew up he was a good 5-6" pretty amazing. WHen we first got him the store said 6months to live..... yea right. I thought so too but he lasted and is still ticking after 2years.

DSC05993.jpg

DSC05995.jpg

DSC06034.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

DSC06169edited.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the one i have had for over three years. Got it when it was dwarfed by it's frag plug. Now it is encrusted onto a 4" frag mount.
4uvyzasa.jpg
Almost lost it about 2 years ago when it bleached and was a very light pink color.

SomethingFishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am in over my head. I am relatively new to coral, and was misinformed about how hard these were to take care of. Now I have two and one just let off toxic green smoke like stuff throughout my tank, panicking my fish. I really need advice because I don't want to risk the rest of my tank and I am so confused as I read about how to take care of these. I have a long polyp electric green that is the true problem child and a purple that came in showing its white infrastructure. Please help!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green slimy stuff almost sounds like it is melting. If you can see the white skeleton it is not good. Need your water perimeters and lighting. The key to goniopora is good consistent water. They prefer med lighting but can get use to high. Med to high flow. Water temp between 78-82. Your alk, ph, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, and salinity levels.

Verduzco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as difficult as some people make them out to be. Key is getting healthy specimens in . Some of the ones I've had, some I already sold.
BlondieGoni_zpsf6b677fd.jpg
YellowGoni_zps230128de.jpg
IMG_4506_zps1747b75f.jpg
Goniporas_zpse1b6ba42.png

SomethingFishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 0, pH 8.0-8.2, ammonia 0, alkalinity 1.025. Temp 82.5. Med water flow 60 % lights atm. Did a 10% water change and moved it to my q tank. To add insult to injury I just lost an 8 year old rainbowfish from my freshwater tank as a result of residual effects of a power outage yesterday. He was one of my friendliest fish. calcium 460. making more rodi so i can do another water change. All the other corals in my tank are so happy. This one just got so angry when a hermit crab kept trying to clean it. The rest of the corals close up and let the crabs clean them then open back up. I ordered the two flower pots from Live Aquaria and everything else I have gotten has been fine in my tank and healthy on arrival. These, the purple shows skeleton but otherwise is eatting and looking good. The green doesn't show skeleton and keeps its polyps extended but freaked out at the crab and the crab kept going back even when I moved him.

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the salinity under alk. If your alk is between 8-9 you should be fine. How long have you had the flowerpots? When i first started i lost several they hung on for several months. Each month they skeleton got bigger and the flesh portion got smaller. Is that temp constant?

SomethingFishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered them. Have only had them a few days. Temp is consistent. moved the purple flower pot and it has been doing better. Nervous about putting the green back in out of my q tank

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green is releasing something. A few days is not much time. They may have been stressed and still getting use to your tank. 82.5 is the max. I hope your tank gets.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back