1st Time SW Build - 75 Gallon Mixed Reef

Frostslasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Pleasure to be here on R2R. As the title suggest, I've begun to build my first saltwater tank. Until recently, I had a 30 gallon freshwater (mostly African Cichlids) tank. Since moving, I no longer have that tank and thought I'd try my hand at saltwater. I still have a lot to learn, but because I know how long and patient I must be to get started (built, cycled, quarantined, etc.) I thought I'd get going on getting all the necessary equipment together and the tank cycled. So please join me in getting my first build together, and all advise and guidance is greatly appreciated!

The tank I purchased was from my LFS, Fairmount Aquarium in Syracuse, NY. It's a new 75 gallon Aqueon (All Glass) with a 1.75" and 1.5" inch pre-drilled overflow, or megaflow as I believe they call it (Pictures below). I didn't like the height or look of the manufacturer stand for the tank, so I decided to build my own. I'm certainly not a carpenter, but thought I had enough skill to make a stand to get started. It isn't the best looking stand that I can build, but I was going for quick and structurally sound.

IMG_0173.jpg

The finished stand and tank where it will be setup.

photo (1).jpg

I went ahead this weekend and ordered a majority of the larger pieces of equipment that I'll be using. What will be arriving in the next week or so:
- Protein Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150 (Received today, below)
- Lighting: 2 Kessil 350N with Gooseneck attachments
- Spectrapure RO/DI system
- Powerhead: 1 Jebao WP-40
- Blue Life Black Background
- A few bulkheads and plumbing supplies

Items left to be ordered:
- Heater: 1 Eheim Jager 300W (may order a 2nd or smaller watt for backup)
- Return pump

- Live Rock: 75-80 pounds of BRS Fiji Dry Live Rock
- Substrate: 50 pounds of CaribSea Special Grade Aragonite
- Additional plumbing supplies for return/overflow
- Eggcrate to hold sand/LR in place
- Testing Kits & Additives
- Salt Mix
- Possibly an Apex or Reefkeeper controller to get started. If not immediately, definitely within the first few months.

The overflow will be setup using a herbie system, with the main drain on a gate-valved 1.5" overflow, and the emergency drain on a 1". For the return, I originally ordered a Laguna Max-Flo 1500 with stand. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail today from SoCal Tropical that said they're all out of stock and they refunded my money, so I'm back to the drawing board. I'm debating whether to A) Re-order a max-flo 1500 from another vendor, or B) Downgrade to the 1350.

My objective in ordering the equipment that I did is to achieve minimum sound. The tank is going in a bedroom, so quietness is paramount. I've read many reviews and heard great things about all of the above, but need some help in selecting the last few items to be ordered. I'm leaning toward Instant Ocean for salt mix, and Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Testkit (Ca, Alk, Mg), but need some help deciding, as well as checkers (Hanna?).

I was originally planning on getting a larger 30 gallon long tank as a sump, and splitting it skimmer/fuge/return, but since then have decided to ditch the refugium and use a 20 gallon tall sump. Since this is my first build I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up and maintaining a refugium, and for what little they add in terms of benefit, if any. The additional space under my stand will allow me to eventually incorporate an ATO system with a 10-15 gallon reservoir, and if needed, an algae scrubber in place of the fuge. I've got another 20 gallon tall tank to use as a maintenance/emergency quarantine

Lastly, some information on what I'd like to actually put in the DT. After all the live rock and sand are in, and the tank is cycled, I'm going to start with cerith snails, strombus graser snails, scarlet hermits, and bristleworms for CUC. I'd like to eventually add a shrimp and nassarius. For corals, I'm looking at going mostly LPS, with maybe a few SPS and soft corals mixed in. From what I understand, soft corals and SPS don't mix well, so I may ditch the soft corals. I enjoy watching corals that move (torch, elegance, frog/hammerspawn) so I'd like to mostly go with those. Plus, I should have really good circulation within the DT to support the LPS.

For fish I'd like to go with (tank bred if available):
- A pair of clownfish
- Dwarf Flame Angelfish
- Yellow Tang
- Six Line Wrasse
- Purple dottyback
- Kaudern's Cardinal
- Possibly a few gobies or more dottybacks

That's all for now folks. Thanks for reading and sharing your advice in advance. I'll be sure to continually update my build as things continue to come in and I start to cycle the tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Just a word of caution about the dottybacks, they can be very mean and territorial. They also can attack shrimp. Good luck with your build!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r lots of good info here if you need it.

OP
OP
F

Frostslasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was in Connecticut all week for work and couldn't work on the tank. Fortunately though, I did receive a some packages with the last few items while I was away. I decided to get a Tunze Silence 1073.05 for my return pump, and my Jebao WP40 arrived from Hong Kong as well. The last thing that I need that I ordered yesterday was some male adapters for the locline. At the top of the tank on the left and right you can see the 2 3/4" PVC return lines (not a very good picture - sorry!). I completed the aquascape today, cleaned and sifted the sand well, and am now starting to put the RO/DI water in. I'm mixing the salt in (Instant Ocean) 5 gallon buckets and have a 250GPH sub-pump mixing it. Hopefully by the end of the night I'll have half the tank filled.

Even though I'm still building the sump (hoping to get the glass cut and siliconed tomorrow), I'm filling up the tank almost all the way to get my WP40 working and begin to cycle the tank. I'm planning on cycling the tank for a minimum of 3 weeks, and will order a CUC package from Reef Cleaners on week 2 or 3 when ammonia and nitrates are at zero. After that, I'll probably start by picking up or ordering a pair of clowns and a few hardy and easy to care-for corals.

photo (2).JPG

Zenisin: I don't have any 'plans' per se, but do you have tips/suggestions and photos of me building the stand. I'd be happy to send them to you by e-mail or PM. I plan on moving in 18-24 months from now, and will most likely build a new stand or have one made professionally when I move -- that is if I don't get the saltwater bug and double my tank size :dance:

OP
OP
F

Frostslasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that in my original post I said that I had ditched the idea of using a 30g sump with a refugium, but since then I've re-evaluated my decision and will be using a skimmer/return/fuge sump.

I've also decided to swap out some of my ideas for livestock, in particular, the dottyback and 6 line wrasse. I don't really want to put a top or net on my tank, so the wrasse is out, and I don't want the purple dottyback because I'd like a peaceful group of livestock. Any other suggestions to go along with a pair of clowns, yellow tank, possibly a kole tang, and dwarf flame angelfish are appreciated!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like to me you need more live rock.

OP
OP
F

Frostslasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have about 15-20 more pounds, but when I added it, I kind of liked the look of less on the left. I guess I was going for one large island on the right, one small island on the left, and an open middle?

Back