2 fish laying on side in QT tank help please

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tiny blue tang has velvet, at first it looked like it was only ich. I threw a QT together that's about 12g. I added 40 drops of cupramine (20 per 10.5g for 2 days instructions say) i added 40 all at once because the tang was looking really bad. My api test kit color shows below .50 ppm so this should be low enough it seems. The tang has been on its side and breathing heavy for the last day and this afternoon we added our foxface because it has ich and as soon as it hit the water it started acting the same.

My instinct is to either pull them out or to do a 50% wc without cupramine. This is my first time QTing or dealing with any sickness so I'm a little panicked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use a low range test kit for measuring Cupramine; specifically Seachem or Salifert copper test kit.

In the meantime, I would do a large WC to lower the Cu level just in case you overdosed it.

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering now and will do the water change. Small update is the foxface is now swimming around and the tang is slightly more active. I've been at work and my wife said the powerhead started moving water a lot fast when she re plugged it in. Im wondering if it was stalled somehow and i didn't notice so there wasn't enough aerating of the water.

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife accidentally used the same net that was in the QT to catch our foxface out of the display. Do inked to worry about that amount of copper entering the display tank being absorbed by rock and sand or does it need to be a much larger concentration?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have to be a larger concentration.

(Try not to do that, though! Ideal would be to have two complete sets of equipment - nets, water-change hoses, buckets, all of it.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exact thoughts and hope Bruce I will plan on not using that net again. I have used 2 powerheads and a heater though so you think those would be salvageable after a good scrub and vinegar soak or are they now designated qt equipment?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back