20 gal waterbox build, start up to 3 months in

OverC’s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a tank thread for the first time, 2nd time tunning a reef tank. 3 months in
IMG_6355.jpeg
IMG_4543.jpeg IMG_4754.jpeg

OP
OP
O

OverC’s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate = 0.0 ppm ... NOOOO!
Where's the Dino Police when we need them?
...just kidding,,, tank looks nice,,, good luck and have fun
I know its usually around 3-7ppm.. at least its easier to raise it than to lower it. Whats weird is my phosphate has crept up to 0.38. I think i have nitrates present theyre just being consumed by the corals and algae so theyre not showing up on the test kit

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youre almost through the worst part
I've kept the lights off and the tank dark so it looks like the day I set it up. I'll keep it dark for another couple of weeks and do a water change when nitrates are high. After that pods and phytoplankton. I'm not planning on adding fish for at least the first 3 months.

Eventually it'll be a mixed reef with mostly stony corals, SPS not until it's stable for 6 months.

OP
OP
O

OverC’s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept the lights off and the tank dark so it looks like the day I set it up. I'll keep it dark for another couple of weeks and do a water change when nitrates are high. After that pods and phytoplankton. I'm not planning on adding fish for at least the first 3 months.

Eventually it'll be a mixed reef with mostly stony corals, SPS not until it's stable for 6 months.
Ive been using phyto every couple of days to keep the pod population strong.. i think it has really helped while going through the uglies and keeping them at bay
Be careful with nannoclhloropsys (not sure on the spelling) for nutrient levels, i have recently switched to isocrysis phytoplankton and its supposed to impact nitrate and phosphate levels less

OP
OP
O

OverC’s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i havent had many issues keeping sps even in a new system, dont change anything quickly and i dose 2 part very sparingly to keep alk between 7.5-8 dkh.. test lots and go slow but it can be done without any losses :) good luck

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back