21 liter office pico & using kalkwasser to facilitate coralline colonization on glass

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four weeks ago, I started establishing a bare-bottom, peninsula-style reef tank that is destined for a spot on my desk at work. In the past, I started a couple of these tank journals, lost interest, and never kept them updated, but here goes.

I tried something different about the initial set up and while it didn’t totally work the way I wanted, I thought I’d share the idea for someone else to follow up on and leave feedback. The idea was to establish a thriving population of coralline algae early, on the bottom of the tank to out-compete nuisance algae on the live rock. This was achieved by pouring a viscous solution of kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) on the bottom of the tank, allowing it to react with atmospheric CO2 and dry overnight, leaving a base layer of calcium carbonate with high surface area for coralline colonization. The next day, the bottom was dry, so I slowly filled the tank and seeded the tank with crushed coralline particles from an established tank. A week later I added some live rock. Success! Well, sorta. Coralline was starting to grow, but 2 weeks after filling the tank, I threw in a turbo snail to work on the nuisance hair algae that was growing on the live rock and once it reached the bare bottom, it gouged out holes in the thin layer of calcium carbonate along with whatever biofilm it was consuming. Bummer. Coralline has since been growing much faster than I anticipated across the tank bottom, but adding the snail was clearly a mistake. Also, adding a second layer of calcium hydroxide might have helped, but please let me know if you try this and whether it works for you by posting below!

Now for some photos of the aquascape, starting from 4 weeks ago to present:

Framing the basic scape, scrubbing nuisance algae off the rocks, and killing aiptasia with the same kalkwasser that I used for the tank bottom.
IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG

Tank filled with live rock and bits of coralline over the thin layer of calcium carbonate. The tank was seeded over the next couple weeks with a variety of copepods, isopods, stomatella snails, keyhole limpets, collonista snails, spaghetti worms, brittle stars, cerith snails (one Caribbean and one Mexican), one trochus snail, and one turbo snail.
IMG_3658.JPG

Aquaclear 50 filled with a filter sponge and topped with some assorted rubble.
IMG_3762.JPG

Turbo snail tearing up the calcium carbonate layer on day 14.
IMG_3712.JPG

Two female sexy shrimp, a maxi mini anemone, and some different corallimorphs and zoanthids were introduced on day 15. Calcium carbonate base layer is getting torn up in patches.
IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG

Added a bubble tip anemone and a couple pieces of rock to complete the aquascape. The base layer of calcium carbonate is clearly gone, but coralline speckling the bottom has taken its place. At 3 weeks, I have loads of new copepods covering the glass.
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3752.JPG

Four weeks in. The tank is topped with a sheet of glass, but I made a mesh screen top for kicks. I threw in a nimblenano magnet cleaner, but I like seeing the abundance of copepods on the glass, so they haven't been disturbed much. The tank is running heater-less because the room temp is warm, well ventilated, and very stable. I need to learn how to take decent reef tank photos with the correct white balance. A video might help give a sense of depth to the scape... I'll have to figure that out too.
IMG_3755.JPG

OP
OP
muntwo

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess there wasn't much interest in seeding tanks with coralline, so here's a quick photo update:

IMG_4200.JPG

Moved the tank into my office so that I can see all 3 sides of this peninsula-style tank. My labmate's desk is in the background.

IMG_4201.JPG

Lighting is supplied by a PAR38 bulb with a ring of blue LEDs that I zip-tied to the bulb for moonlighting. Wiring for the LED ring is fed through this awesome clamp light fixture for a really clean look. The white diodes are mostly blocked out to reduce total PAR, as this is a shallow tank. The corallimorphs seem to indicate (through their expansion) that PAR is still fairly high. Most of the following shots are taken with just moonlighting and ceiling fluorescent lights on.

IMG_4194.JPG

The right side of the tank, with my desk in the background. A little brown hair algae growing on the live rock from being away on vacation. Fragged a bunch of leather corals from my other tank and attached them to the rocks with rubber bands.

IMG_4193.JPG

Left side of the tank: Originally, I had a zoanthid/corallimorph tank in mind, but it's quickly becoming dominated with leather corals... I think there are currently 7 sinularia, 3 sarcophyton, and 1 lobophytum. All of them have distinct colors and growth forms, and I would love to continue adding to this diversity.

IMG_4185.JPG

It'll be a couple weeks before these frags attach and the rubber bands get removed.

IMG_4183.jpg

Front view of the tank: I tried to make maxi-mini anemone a focal point, but my attention gets immediately drawn down to the front with 3 sinularia in highlighter yellow, green, and blue. Coralline-coverage on the bare bottom is around 80% at 2 months from the initial setup.

IMG_4184.jpg

This isn't really the best representation of the color in this maxi-mini anemone, but it definitely looks better than that last photo.

IMG_4209.JPG

Who ever said that soft corals are boring and have no color? Really looking forward to seeing these frags attach and extend their polyps in this tank. Shot this one with the PAR38 bulb on to highlight the differences in fluorescence.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all of reefing I've never seen coralline driven like that how smart! So you are saying it's now got legit purple spots affixed to the bottom, calcified in place, in just about a months time? That's three mos faster than typical water boosting dosing to aid it really nice really nice

OP
OP
muntwo

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been two months since I first put saltwater in the tank, but yes that is all newly encrusted coralline on the tank bottom. Nearly all of the new coralline growth is appearing on the bottom of the tank and barely on the sides or on the live rock. I'll also note that I am dosing magnesium sulfate, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium carbonate, so I'm not attributing all of this growth to pouring a foundation of the calcium carbonate on the bottom... I just thought that it might be an idea worth pursuing when starting a new tank.

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea! All the little critters are awesome too, I'm doing something similar in my tank. I also have a set of drafting lights on each side of my 20g long with par38s supplementing my t5s.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool little tank! :D

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tank in a home office, or at work? I may have missed that part! Curious about topping the tank off. With the HOB filter I guess you could go a few days without adding water?

OP
OP
muntwo

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's at my work office. Evaporation rate is about 250 mL per day. I'm here every day, so no need for an ATO. If I need to be away for multiple days, I'll throw a sheet of 1/8" glass over the top and the evaporation rate drops to about 80 mL per day. Also, ambient temperature is really stable, so I don't use a heater either. The tank is pretty barebones when it comes to hardware... the LED moonlight and the nimblenano magnet cleaner might be the only non-essential pieces of equipment.

OP
OP
muntwo

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all of the rubber bands on the frags about a month ago and the leathers are starting to fill in. Looked into photography gels for filtering out blue wavelengths in my photos and will take some full tank shots when those filters come in. Until then, here are a couple yellow clown gobies that I just added in.

IMG_4449.JPG

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. What has been your experience with the nano system and nems? I was thinking about putting one in my 29g biocube eventually. Love the coraline idea as well. Could you use a regular desk lamp to take pic?

Will follow

OP
OP
muntwo

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping nano systems for 5 years now and my first reef was an 8 gallon biocube. I had a small bubble tip anemone in this system for a few weeks, but took it out because it was roaming all over and stinging everything... same experience in a 40 gallon reef. It can definitely be done, but it wasn't worth the trouble for me. Rock anemones may be better about staying put. I guess I could try that, but I was thinking that higher white:blue might drown out the coral fluorescence.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back