25gal lagoon: Livestock dying + algae outbreaks

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I’ve been having some issues with one of my tanks. We started seeing some new algae on the sand a few weeks ago. It wasn’t bad but seemed a bit odd given that nothing had changed in the tank. Since then our 4 year old Azure damsel has died and our year old Abalone also died. There is one head on the frogspawn that isn’t looking great, but otherwise the coral and the rest of the livestock seem okay for now. The algae outbreak has gotten quite bad though, with two different types (see pictures).

These problems started awhile ago with the loss of our Bullseye pistol shrimp and a few weeks later our YWG, but seemed to settle down.

Parameters:
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.024
78F
4KH
pH 8.4
Calcium 500+ (this shot up recently for seemingly no reason)
Phosphate 0

Other than the calcium these parameters have been consistent for months and months.

I will add chemi pure to the filter in case it is toxins from the sea apple, but from what I’ve read if that was the case the tank would be wiped out. We’re also siphoning out some of the algae and doing water changes, as they have been somewhat neglected. The remaining fish livestock are a pair of skunk clowns and a starry blenny, along with asst inverts, and a fromia starfish. The starry blenny seems a little more skittish than usual, but other than that everyone seems fine.

Is there anything else it might be or we should do? The tank needs a rescape as is but it’s looking terrible and losing original livestock is upsetting.

IMG_1892.JPG
32595b7c07a1c10b1790cd7caf5c2f1c.jpg
50811f0116f59502de89c930d90aa361.jpg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Dino’s rolls up like a mat at night . Stringy snot. There’s a thread on treatment ...it’s a sticky on top of the threads. You’ll need a microscope to be sure.

The other is bryopsis I think. Another tough nuisance algae.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's thrive in low nutrient tanks so the suggestions go in line with your parameters (0 phosphates and nitrates).

I'm also concerned that your alk is pretty low at 4KH - this would upset your corals (I assume 4KH = 4dKH).

OP
OP
Chrysus

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's thrive in low nutrient tanks so the suggestions go in line with your parameters (0 phosphates and nitrates).

I'm also concerned that your alk is pretty low at 4KH - this would upset your corals (I assume 4KH = 4dKH).

It’s definitely possible, although the tank in theory should be fairly nutrient rich. It’s fed heavily every day, gets phyto multiple times a week, and is skimmerless. There is a sea apple and an abundance of feather dusters that seem to thrive. Parameters don’t seem to agree haha.

KH is something this tank has always battled. My other tank maintains a KH of 7+ no problem, but this one consistently sits at 4. What is best for upping the alk?

OP
OP
Chrysus

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can check both numbers again. Calcium has been consistently low as well up until recently, so I don’t really know what is going on. Nothing has been changed in the tank.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It’s definitely possible, although the tank in theory should be fairly nutrient rich. It’s fed heavily every day, gets phyto multiple times a week, and is skimmerless. There is a sea apple and an abundance of feather dusters that seem to thrive. Parameters don’t seem to agree haha.

KH is something this tank has always battled. My other tank maintains a KH of 7+ no problem, but this one consistently sits at 4. What is best for upping the alk?

Feeding heavy is subjective . What might be heavy to you might be medium to me and vice versa. I started with light feeding myself and that did not pay off. Instead of fighting GHA you might be battling Dino’s.

Either way it’s not the end of the world as there are solutions . You just have to know what your dealing with. I’m fairly confident if you look your samples in a microscope it will be Dino’s, but to effectively battle it you need to understand what type it is . They are not created equal and have different strategy

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
UV can be effective at dealing with it. I see you have the IM lagoon. IM makes a drop in UV sterlizer that drops in the filter sock chamber. Also get some activated carbon in there . It will help with removing the toxins released by the dinos.

Adding one in my tank , nearly wiped out the Dino. It disappeared but seemly reappeared . It’s management for me so I’m not freaking out. Think it through before taking actions. Rush decisions will only make it worst

OP
OP
Chrysus

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sounds good, I’ll read more about it and start working on a solution.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus one on the Dino’s and plus one on using a uv sterilizer. Dino’s is very toxic to wildlife and it’s a bear to control. I’ve dealt with Dino’s twice. Dinoflagellates is what creates a red tide. Good luck!

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a cheap microscope and identify the type of dinos you have. Some are easily dealt with using a powerful UV sterilizer but other strains that don't enter the water column at night will not be affected by UV.

OP
OP
Chrysus

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check them on a friends microscope.

How easy are they to spread between tanks? The Starry Blenny (who of course eats algae) isn’t doing too well, but I’m worried that if I move him to my other tank I’ll spread them to that tank. Is there a safe way to do it?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back