OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carefully placed the middle most rock to see if the width will fit the narrowest part of the tank (the center)

It’s absolutely perfect and the height is the exact ratio I envisioned.

72ED90BE-4577-4B2A-B8C4-1806590DBEE2.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week the sump will be ready. Next week I will have to get all the fish out of the tank and hold them somewhere until the new tank is in its place.

I have a 44 gallon brute can.
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79F

Added a large bottle of bacteria from LFS (fritz turbo 9)
I transferred a few live rocks from the tank I currently have. And I added one of the new structures to the brute for more surface area.

I’m ghost feeding a lot to prep the bacteria.

It’s a temporary holding container, but it will work for the short time period!

I seriously can’t believe time flew this fast. I remember just yesterday placing the order for this tank and wondering if this will even work out.
Ammonia being monitored 24/7 via seachem ammonia alert badge. So far it’s safe even though I’m feeding a lot! Bacteria is getting to work!
3F4159DC-08C5-4122-B914-0BEA57EADE0C.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish removed. They are doing very well in their temporary home (the cycled brute can).

One more week until the project starts. Still figuring out the details with the carpenter, but we will still install the tank on the scheduled time.

We can always fix the cabinetry after, as it’s only the exterior aesthetics.

Ooh, I cannot wait!!

573BCB65-ADCA-4C36-BD6F-45EF9692F262.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, sump, plumbing etc all done

All that’s missing is the ATO, and the cabinetry. Both are going to be done within the next 2 weeks.

838D396B-D342-439B-ADD6-66DBEF9F5BDE.jpeg

I am having an annoying issue. The sock compartment is an acrylic piece but it isn’t siliconed shut because if I ever want to remove it for cleaning I will have that option…

But some water is bypassing the filter socks by going through the edges of the acrylic.

6D41F6BF-2518-49A3-8605-7854DB87B1A1.jpeg
The 4 edges of the black piece is where the water is going through. I’m thinking of just siliconing it, but I want to option to remove it in case I wanted to clean under. I do have access through the bottom to siphon.

If this is not making sense I will take real life pictures and write exactly what I’m talking about.

Also, about the aquascape. The left side is too tall and I’m not crazy about that one little “stick” sticking out in the structure near the middle-right .

I’m going to make some final tweaks. I’m thinking that I don’t want to rocks too high because I want to leave room for top coral growth. I’m thinking of making all the 4 structures the same height and letting the acros decide how they want to grow.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On my DIY sumps where I would have a piece of HDPE (Old cutting board) for the filter socks (almost exactly like that) I would need to add a glass lip for the hdpe to sit on. I would cut glass but I saw someone use glass tiles to keep it neat and simple.
The silicone wouldnt stick to the HDPE well so in effect It acted more like a gasket for the filter-sock panel.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my DIY sumps where I would have a piece of HDPE (Old cutting board) for the filter socks (almost exactly like that) I would need to add a glass lip for the hdpe to sit on. I would cut glass but I saw someone use glass tiles to keep it neat and simple.
The silicone wouldnt stick to the HDPE well so in effect It acted more like a gasket for the filter-sock panel.
Yes, my HDPE is sitting on little glass lips.

So you are saying I can use silicone?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a minor bump on the road.

The manufacturers thought I had a 200INT protein skimmer when I really had a 250INT. Now my skimmer doesn’t fit.

Not sure what the plan is. I think they can just remove that silicones glass and push it more to the right so the skimmer can fit, and then they can just make put 2-3 sock holders instead of 5.

4FE7D59D-CDAF-4299-A445-8397B585B512.jpeg

It’s just a glass panel. I don’t see why it would be a challenge to just move it 2-3 inches to the right. It doesn’t sound complicated to me.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks are starting to cycle without the sump. Just the display.

Hopefully we get this resolved soon because I don’t want to add my fish to a tank that has organics decomposing from the dry rocks without a way to efficiently export them. I did add a large chunk of live rock so the nitrification process is getting started.

I decided to go bare bottom.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m having a minor bump on the road.

The manufacturers thought I had a 200INT protein skimmer when I really had a 250INT. Now my skimmer doesn’t fit.

Not sure what the plan is. I think they can just remove that silicones glass and push it more to the right so the skimmer can fit, and then they can just make put 2-3 sock holders instead of 5.

4FE7D59D-CDAF-4299-A445-8397B585B512.jpeg

It’s just a glass panel. I don’t see why it would be a challenge to just move it 2-3 inches to the right. It doesn’t sound complicated to me.
Its just a lot of scraping. Why are you going filter socks instead of roller filter floss? If I were you id totally go roller filter floss. Why not move the panel on the other side? (it'll probably be evident when I go back and look at your sump plan)
Any interest in downgrading your skimmer?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back