OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a lot of scraping. Why are you going filter socks instead of roller filter floss? If I were you id totally go roller filter floss. Why not move the panel on the other side? (it'll probably be evident when I go back and look at your sump plan)
Any interest in downgrading your skimmer?
I genuinely enjoy filter socks. I feel they are effective and easy to maintain. I do think rollermats are convenient, they just aren’t for me.

Yes, we are going to move the panel to the left like you said. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a list of “minor” issues. I need to vent because I’m so disappointed.

The aquarium manufacturers really wanted to make their job as easy as possible. At the moment I was convinced that their plumbing wasn’t a red flag, but when I tried expressing how it wasn’t good they said it was fine.

So, here’s a list of all my issues and I will explain with pictures and I will put a symbol to the issues that are going to get resolved by them

1. Skimmer doesn’t fit (they will easily fix this part)

2. The gate valves are facing the sock area. It’s very difficult to change out the socks without accidentally turning the gate valves

3. The emergency line is also in the sock area which is very difficult to maneuver the sock area. There is supposed to be a pipe that extends down that I’m supposed to remove every time I need to change my socks.

This picture shows problems #2 and #3
DE3109B5-E4ED-44C2-BEF4-F13EF7C9B081.jpeg

And the worst part of all? They put my UV in the worst spot possible. They put it in an area that is impossible to change without removing the entire UV. They said I need to drain the bottom part out (do you know how much water needs to be drained out from that tiny crevice?) I can’t slide the bulbs out because the sump is blocking.
7194DA31-D6F8-4A2C-93FF-6B37A91B7B8D.jpeg

I’m just so stressed because the guy is saying that he finished and I “approved” the plumbing. I just think they really rushed me in the moment. They did all the plumbing in under 2 days and they were supposed to take a week.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the non-accessible uv bulbs would be a pretty big problem. Working out the kinks is part of the build process though. Don't let them discourage you.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the non-accessible uv bulbs would be a pretty big problem. Working out the kinks is part of the build process though. Don't let them discourage you.
They are discouraging me. They are saying that I approved the plumbing (which I kinda did) but only because they shut down every other option I gave them.

Now they are saying everything is glued. But I know they can fix it. They told me they would come at 10am last Friday but they came after 1pm and expected to finish everything that same day.

What other choice did I have? I was definitely rushed and nothing good comes out when being rushed.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how we can fix it, but I’m worried that they won’t be willing to work with me. It was a huge mistake to pay them off before I was completely satisfied.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know how we can fix it, but I’m worried that they won’t be willing to work with me. It was a huge mistake to pay them off before I was completely satisfied.
shucks, I was about to say withhold last payment. I'm always the guy paying on day 29 on net 30 contracts.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I supposed you can just make sure they don't get anyone else's business from this webpage.
don't be afraid to let them know you'll call them out on this site too. ;D
I'm an ash...

If they banged it out that fast they can fix it even faster.

that is another reason I do everything for myself.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the horrible photo. I will work on getting much better for this thread.

I just wanted to show the scape I went with. The initial plan didn’t work because it was too bulky and I was too large for the tank. I want the fish to have room to swim and for the corals to grow without cramping up the tank.

I’m extremely confident and happy with this scape. Me being a perfectionist, it’s pretty hard for me to be happy with my aquascape, but here I am! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
EF82B4AE-2DD3-47B4-B7DE-F51752D64A82.jpeg

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
looks awesome!
Is there a reason they plumbed the two UV together instead of keeping them separate so you could run one at a higher flow for algae and one at a slower flow for pathogens? Probably with that much UV it'll do both at whatever flow! you'll love the UV I think.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome!
Is there a reason they plumbed the two UV together instead of keeping them separate so you could run one at a higher flow for algae and one at a slower flow for pathogens? Probably with that much UV it'll do both at whatever flow! you'll love the UV I think.
That’s one UV unit lol. It’s 80 watts; a monster.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the horrible photo. I will work on getting much better for this thread.

I just wanted to show the scape I went with. The initial plan didn’t work because it was too bulky and I was too large for the tank. I want the fish to have room to swim and for the corals to grow without cramping up the tank.

I’m extremely confident and happy with this scape. Me being a perfectionist, it’s pretty hard for me to be happy with my aquascape, but here I am! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
EF82B4AE-2DD3-47B4-B7DE-F51752D64A82.jpeg

Even with everything you're saying is wrong it's a beautiful setup! Live and learn and improve as it becomes necessary. I think it looks great!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with everything you're saying is wrong it's a beautiful setup! Live and learn and improve as it becomes necessary. I think it looks great!
Yes, the tank itself is phenomenal! I’m so happy with the way the tank dimensions and size is!

Here’s my current fish list:

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Orange shoulder tang
Naso tang
Foxface
2 Clarkii clownfish
Flame hawkfish
Bellus angel
Lamarck angel
Midas blenny
Redfin wrasse
Melanurus wrasse

Currently 13 fish. I’m wanting to add 5 yellow tail damsels and various fairy/flasher wrasses, and a yellow pyramid butterfly fish.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, the tank itself is phenomenal! I’m so happy with the way the tank dimensions and size is!

Here’s my current fish list:

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Orange shoulder tang
Naso tang
Foxface
2 Clarkii clownfish
Flame hawkfish
Bellus angel
Lamarck angel
Midas blenny
Redfin wrasse
Melanurus wrasse

Currently 13 fish. I’m wanting to add 5 yellow tail damsels and various fairy/flasher wrasses, and a yellow pyramid butterfly fish.
Aren't the damsels on the aggressive side for the flasher wrasses?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered: Pink fuzz millepora acro, solar flare acro, and a lavender fields acro from Tidal Gardens.

Here’s pictures of the mother colony from their website:

17BABAAE-165E-4449-9460-2ACE21D83EAB.jpeg
FDDC238B-FEFF-43D7-8696-3F2828B30E71.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered: Pink fuzz millepora acro, solar flare acro, and a lavender fields acro from Tidal Gardens.

Here’s pictures of the mother colony from their website:

17BABAAE-165E-4449-9460-2ACE21D83EAB.jpeg
FDDC238B-FEFF-43D7-8696-3F2828B30E71.jpeg
You don't think that it is a bit early for these? Those are some amazing test frags.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back