265 Gallon Mixed Reef

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Courtney and I have been in this hobby for 2+ years and my fiance has been in the hobby for over 7 years. We have a 265 gallon mixed reef that is about 1 year old. It started with the contents of a 75 gallon and we have been slowly trying to fill in all the extra space. It is amazing how a coral that can look like a huge colony in a 75 can look like a frag in a 265! The tank was started with overdriven T-5 bulbs and a few months ago we converted one side to LEDs so we could compare the T-5s and the LEDs. We just finished converting the rest of the fixture and we are very excited about the LEDs.

Here is a little background information on our system. The display is a 265 gallon glass tank (7' x 2' x 31") and the sump is a 30 gallon glass tank. We run 2 MP40 vortechs on reef crest 100% as well as the return pump for flow. Lighting is 72 three watt LEDs, 36 Cree Royal Blues and 36 Rebel Luxeon Whites. The Blues have 40 degree optics and the Whites have 60 degree optics. They are driven by 6 dimmable Meanwell drivers and we have a potentiometer for each color to control them. We run a protein skimmer and filter sock for filtration and I do a 10 gallon daily water change with Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. We do not use any reactors of any kind, we rely on the water changes and a very small amount of Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium and Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium daily to maintain our parameters. That about sums up the equipment side of our system, we try to keep things simple and effective and have found these methods give excellent results.

The livestock in the tank is still a work in progress. Some of the fish we currently have are a Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Female Crosshatch Trigger, Copper banded Butterfly, Filefish, a mated pair of Yellow Assessors, a mated pair of Maroon Gold Stripe Clownfish and several others. We still have quite a fish wish list for the tank that we are slowly working on. Corals are mostly SPS and just to name a few: ORA Joe the Coral, ORA Frogskin, Nathan's Green Milliepora, Idaho Grape Monticap, Orange Setosa, Orange Digitata, ORA Green Digitata and many other SPS frags. The LPS we have are mostly different acan lords with a few chalices as well as a basketball size colony of Purple Tip Frogspawn. The only soft corals we have are zoanthids and palythoas some of which include Red People Eaters, Candy Apple Reds and Armor of Gods to name a few.

Some daily maintenance that I do on the tank includes the 10 gallon water change, dosing the Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium and Bio-Magnesium and feeding a variety of frozen foods to the fish and corals. The fish also receive dry pellets in an auto feeder twice a day. I change the filter sock every other day and clean the skimmer collection cup and test the water parameters once a week and clean the glass as needed.

I think that about sums up everything with the tank. We try to keep everything as simple as possible and have definitely seen some amazing growth. I am very excited to see in a year or so how much more mature it will look as everything grows and fills in more.

Here are a few pictures, the full tank shot is from May 2010 and many of the coral shots are from August 2010. These pictures are all with full T-5s on the tank. I will be posting more recent pictures soon so that everyone can see how it looks with the LEDs.

IMG_1561.jpg

AOGPaly08-26-10.jpg

BlueTort08-23-10.jpg

Bubble08-26-10.jpg

FruitLoopsAcan08-26-10.jpg

Joethecoral08-23-10-1.jpg

ORAGreenDigi08-31-10.jpg

Setosa08-31-10.jpg

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous pics!!! Love the tank!! post more pics when you get a chance we like to look!!!

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rockscape...it's creative and natural yet thoughtfully low o allow corals to grow in time. try to resist making it too much of a mixed garden tank in the long run for best success (avoid keeping excessive numbers or deepwater LPS with decidedly shallow water sps...they just both wont fair optimally over time under standardized lighting in such shallow water versus the reef).

This tank has tremendous potential!!! Cheers :)

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!! Great looking tank and tons of space for things to grow!! Nice lighting system btw!

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome. I would love to see updated pics with the leds. I guess the leds worked good since you converted the entire tank to leds after just having 1/2 of it led. that's good to hear. Wow, 10g waater change daily, that must get expensive quick!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You have a great looking tank and I'm impressed with the daily 10G water changes! I had to read that 3 times to make sure I was seeing daily WC's!

CoralFever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. I like the minimal aquascape, it looks nice and clean with plenty of room for corals to grow.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank, Courtney. I know what you mean about the corals looking like lil frags in a big tank. Mine can't grow near fast enough. Have you considered ceramic frag stands on your back wall? I added some, about 8 months in to my tank, and OMG did it make a difference on how it looked. I really love them and it gives extra space to house smaller frag plugs.

OP
OP
MH_Courtney

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great Courtney!

Thanks! How have you been Chris? I finally came and joined you over here :)

Nice looking tank, Courtney. I know what you mean about the corals looking like lil frags in a big tank. Mine can't grow near fast enough. Have you considered ceramic frag stands on your back wall? I added some, about 8 months in to my tank, and OMG did it make a difference on how it looked. I really love them and it gives extra space to house smaller frag plugs.

Thank you, I dont mind the emptiness right now, just need to do a fish order to fill it up a bit more. The corals are growing really fast so it wont be long before it starts filling in. As for the frag plugs I will be posting a new thread in the next day or so on the frag system we just got finished. I should be putting the first frags in it tonight and i am super excited about it. It is a 3 tier system of 2'x4'x8" tanks, so plenty of frag space :D

OP
OP
MH_Courtney

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I ever explained the water change system on this tank. I have a 20 gallon high tank that is gravity fed through a solenoid to the sump of the 265. I have a heater and powerhead in the water change tank and I add salt to this tank every day after I do a water change. The water change has gotten a bit more complex since we added our frag system but I will talk more about that in another thread. I drain 10 gallons from the sump through a hose and then I flip a switch and 10 fresh gallons drains from the water change tank into the sump. The water change tank is automatically filled through a solenoid off the RO/DI unit and float switches. Having this automated system makes doing water changes a piece of cake and actually possible. I can't imagine how long it would take me to do a 10 gallon water change a day if I had to manually fill buckets.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i hate doing water changes with my buckets =[

OP
OP
MH_Courtney

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i hate doing water changes with my buckets =[

I still do water changes with buckets with my nano at work and I hate it. I am always skipping water changes on the nano because it is a pain but I never skip on the 265 because it is so easy....attach hose, open ball valve, wait until it hits mark, close ball valve, hit switch, wait until it hits its mark, hit switch again and roll up hose...done :bigsmile:

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a water change? :horse::horse: I don't do many on my 300 but I do them weekly on my pico. Pico water change consists of taking 1 1/2 qts and dumping it in my 300. Then I take 1 1/2 qts from my frag system and top off the pico. I keep 55 gallons of NSW on hand just in case, though.

OP
OP
MH_Courtney

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a water change? :horse::horse: I don't do many on my 300 but I do them weekly on my pico. Pico water change consists of taking 1 1/2 qts and dumping it in my 300. Then I take 1 1/2 qts from my frag system and top off the pico. I keep 55 gallons of NSW on hand just in case, though.

I know water changes are a hotly debated issue but I firmly believe in them. I am able to feed heavily and keep my nitrates between 0 and 1. I dose such a small amount and am able to keep my parameters stable. I feel that by putting in fresh salt water I am able to replace the trace elements properly. There are so many things we can't test for and I don't want to dose for anything that i can't test for. I dont have to worry if my water is getting out of whack because I am constantly changing it out. I feel like this should also eliminate Old Tank Syndrome. We run bare bottom in both the display and the sump/fuge. I dont claim to be a chemist or an expert by any means but I feel like this is a pretty solid theory(at least in my head anyway) and so far it has given us excellent results.

OP
OP
MH_Courtney

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't had time to take any new pictures but here are some old ones I was digging through today. A few are a little more recent but everything is still with the T-5s. I figure these should work as growth shots as well. I think the only more recent one I included is a purple/green chalice (supposed to be a watermelon but I don't have any lineage on it) and I included a growth shot with it. The first pic is from end of August and the other pic is from the middle of February.

chalice9-10-10.jpg

_MG_3069.jpg

Yellow torch
_MG_3053.jpg

Copper banded butterfly
_MG_3094.jpg

Green Millie
GreenMilli5-3-10.jpg

Green Slimer and Xenia
GreenSlimer5-3-10.jpg

Hairy Mushroom
hairymushroom.jpg

Female Maroon Gold Strip Clown
MaroonClownfemale05-03-10.jpg

Midas Blenny
MidasBlenny9-10-10.jpg

Mixed Zoos
MixedZoas08-31-10.jpg

Acan
orangeacan9-10-104.jpg

Orange Digi
OrangeDigi08-31-10.jpg

Acan
redacan2-12-11.jpg

Sun Coral
SunCoral5-14-103.jpg

Female Crosshatch Trigger
TriggerFemale08-20-102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back