29 Gal Biobue Filtration?

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 29 Gal Biocube set up with 25 pounds of live rock and some live sand. I have removed the bio balls from the center chamber and replaced them with a few pieces of live rock rubble with a chemi pure elite bag on top of them. I also have a piece of Pura filtration pad placed over the top of the drip tray and have cut back the plastic lip in between the first and second chamber to allow for inresased water flow. With all that being said i still have quite a bit of particals floating around in the water. Not sure if maybe my power head is blocking some of the water from going into the intakes or not. It is currently located between the uppper and lower water intakes on the right side of the tank. Other than the particles the water is very clear. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get rid of these particles? I also have the protein skimmer for the Biocube but it does not seem to do very much at all.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the live rock rubble out of those back chambers, they will create the same problems that the bioballs you removed will/would.
As for the microbubbles, check all of the connections from the return pump up to the elbow for the return. You can also fill the third chamber (the one with the return pump) up to the return's elbow, ignore the min-max line on the side of the tank. It may help with the bubbles, and will definitely help with the trickling water sound.

OP
OP
N

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i have is not the micro bubbles. It is actually small particles of stuff that dont seems to be getting filtered. like debri off the live rock. my third chamber is also full. I also only have two very small pieces of live rock in the second chamber, just enough to lay the chemi pure elite bag across.

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all I would get rid of the stock skimmer. I used it for about a week and then threw it in the trash :) I would recommend the SPR back pak skimmer or the SPR aquafuge with built in skimmer ( i had both on my 29BC) Second the only way to get rid of the particles is to run some sort of sponge filter. I packed my last chamber with sponge filter, however, having to clean every few days and when you did would make a mess in the tank was getting old. Its just one of those things you will have to live with when you have a BC.

PS: the higher the water level in the rear chambers the less particles/bubbles you will have.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill the back chamber, add a sump and put a decent skimmer in the sump;) I have heard live rock rubble is a good thing and not the same as b.balls since it has some capability of being anerobic within the rock.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,

I just recently reworked my 2nd chamber to contain the InTank Media Rack Biocube 29 Media Basket and the Tunze 9002 Skimmer. I had the biocube skimmer and it didnt really help much. My third chamber is just the return pump which i upgraded the stock return pump with a RIO HF6 and also eheim 16/22 tubing to eliminate 90 degree angle return for better flow. The first Chamber now has my thermometer and heater. Check my sig for my journal with my biocube. I also recently got a MP10 and the flow is amazing!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back