2nd tank upgrade in 3 months; Best method? And Can i reuse live sand?

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advanced. Quite a few questions.. I upgraded to a 125 from a 55gall 3 months ago. I used new sand with 4 cups of the old.

Now I am upgrading to a 180. I am wondering if it is safe to reuse the old sand? I would be adding about 40lb of new sand with the old sand. If I need to rinse it, whats the best method to do So? Unfiltered township tap water? Mix salt water?

And what is the best method on transporting all livestock and coral? I HAVE a 56 gallon tank I am selling that I could use in the meantime to house livestock.. however. If I was to do that.. would I need to put liverock in? If not how long would I have? Should I add sand in after? new or old first? If I transferred fish right in, dinthey still need to acclimate?

Any and all help is much appreciated!!

If the 180 wasn't going in the same spot the 125 is in in would set them both up until I can tear the 125 down. It's getting listed for sale anyways..

Thanks again!!

Jordan

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, you should avoid reusing sand. There are toxins that can get released when stirred up, not to mention the die off that you will get.

Anyway, my well water is safe to use to rinse the sand. If you know what is in your tap water, then you might be safe. Check for ammonia, nitries, metals, etc. I basically take a bucket, fill it a quarter (or half if you are ambitious) full of the dirty sand and keep the water flowing through it. Stir it regularly and let the water overflow the edge of the bucket. I do this outside, lol. If the sand is in good shape, it will not take long. I bought a tank once and it took a full afternoon to rinse; it was just nasty...

For your other questions, answered in order:

Keep the liverock in water as much as you can.
If you use the 56 gallon tank, yes it must be cycled; so put some rock in it, a bubbler, a small powerhead and a heater.
You would have until the ammonia and nitrite levels start killing things.
You can add the sand whenever you want, keep in mind it will cloud the water, so wait until the dust settles before adding the livestock.
New or old sand does not matter, if you rinse the old sand, it will be like new...
The only time you would not need to acclimate the fish would be when you are transferring to and from the same water. Since you are adding %50 more water, you should acclimate them. However, if the temp, PH and salinity is the same in the target tank, then acclimating will be quick ;)

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly answered! Thank you

I was thinking about using the waste water from my RO DI.
I have pretty good pressure and a good bit comes out of there.

I have 40lb of new sand coming, I will clean the old sand (60#) and mix them. Saving a few cups untouched.

I wasn't too sure about the sand. since the sand is only 3 months the old. (Bought as live sand).

My next question is.

The 56 gallon spare tank. Is not acclimated. Being I would be cleaning the sand. Adding new sand. Transferring the liverock etc. How much die off will there be? Enough to cause issues if I do not hold the fish in the spare tank? With it not being cycled.. pretty worried about it. And I don't have the room the keep both tanks until It cycles lol.

I cpuld.. Pump current tank water I to the 56.. with heat and powerhesd... but how long would it last?

Thanks for the help and advice.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, you would only experience die off if your rocks are out of salt water. Moving them from one tank to another (say max 5 minutes out of the water) would have very little die off and you should not even notice it.

Keep in mind it is the rocks you are cycling, not the tank itself. If the rocks are cycled and you move them from one tank to another, whether an aquarium, a garbage can or a plastic tub (all of similar volume), you would not need to worry about cycling.

You would need to fill the 56 with salt water (fresh or pumped from another system), add in the cycled rocks. Add heat, air and circulation and boom you have a functional aquarium indefinitely...

Now, I am not sure I completely follow what you are saying, so I might be down a rabbit hole...

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, you would only experience die off if your rocks are out of salt water. Moving them from one tank to another (say max 5 minutes out of the water) would have very little die off and you should not even notice it.

Keep in mind it is the rocks you are cycling, not the tank itself. If the rocks are cycled and you move them from one tank to another, whether an aquarium, a garbage can or a plastic tub (all of similar volume), you would not need to worry about cycling.

You would need to fill the 56 with salt water (fresh or pumped from another system), add in the cycled rocks. Add heat, air and circulation and boom you have a functional aquarium indefinitely...

Now, I am not sure I completely follow what you are saying, so I might be down a rabbit hole...

Its must be me in the rabbit hole lol. You answered that perfectly.

Alright soothe rocks are what cycles. I will be using the tank water anyways. As it's already mixed salt lol.

Also... thisnwould you recommend adding more rock? Should be adding 30lb of cured rock with all the rock from the 125 to the 180. And how about uncured rock?

Thank you!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding 30 more pounds is likely enough for filtration; usually I find adding more rocks is a matter of aesthetic, not function. However, I did not see how much you have right now. But if it is enough to sustain a 125 G, adding 30lbs should be fine...

I always cure my rock for a good three months outside of my tank (I have a 220 gallon as my main tank). I do this in a 25 gallon plastic bin with a heater and power head. I put a couple discs of food in every few days. After a few months I throw a shrimp in and look for the ammonia spike, remove the shrimp and see how it goes. Sometimes I test before the shrimp, maybe once every couple weeks. I am pretty lazy though... Anyway, this not only keep the cycling water out of the main tank, but it allows for a good jag of the phosphates to leach out before adding the rocks to the main tank...

OP
OP
VelocityTech

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I've always done this without a concern. Since I've started keeping very low nitrates about 2 ywars ago. I second question all. Especially with more reefers than ever on here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back