3-D Printed Frag Rack Code

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I wouldn't use PLA in a constant submerged case is because as a bioplastic, it could potentially fuel bacteria. I doubt it would break down quick enough to cause a structural problem. I've used PLA mostly for structures that see occasional use in saltwater. As for ABS, many of the plastic fittings we use, i.e. bulkheads, are ABS. Just because it is extruded vs cast doesn't change it's chemical stability. Structural stability is a different situation. If you are using it to hold up 50 lbs of rock, then sure, it is going to have issues if you do 10% infill and have a bad structural design. PETG is also saltwater resistant and will hold up as well if not better than ABS. The main issue with building with ABS is its large CTE and high extrusion temperature. I have had decent luck printing ABS on my Creality 3D Ender 3 at home. But I had to experiment until I found the best build parameters.

Those parameters are as follows:
Bed temp: 100°C
Extruder temp: 245°C
Layer Fan: OFF

I also make sure to turn off the ceiling fan.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the ceiling fan needs to be off in the little office my printers are in no matter what I am printing. Especially if it's flat. It'll warp like nobody's business no matter what material I am using on the Ender 3.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the ceiling fan needs to be off in the little office my printers are in no matter what I am printing. Especially if it's flat. It'll warp like nobody's business no matter what material I am using on the Ender 3.

I haven't had any issues with PLA. But I do clean the plastic sheet on the bed before every build with IPA. ABS was a different story. Took me 3 tries to successfully print riser legs. Since then, I have no issues building with it using the parameters I stated before. I ordered some PETG as from what I've read, it doesn't shrink as much or maybe its that it takes longer to shrink.

Also, my 3D printer is in the same room as my tank. Everything is in my office and I don't run a dehumidifier. I've had no issues associated with moisture absorption of the plastics. No popping or rough builds. What's even more surprising is that the material I've been using was bought off eBay for $13. I expected all sorts of issues and so far I've run into none of the ones that I used to encounter when using the enormous Stratasys FDM machines.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with PLA. But I do clean the plastic sheet on the bed before every build with IPA. ABS was a different story. Took me 3 tries to successfully print riser legs. Since then, I have no issues building with it using the parameters I stated before. I ordered some PETG as from what I've read, it doesn't shrink as much or maybe its that it takes longer to shrink.

Also, my 3D printer is in the same room as my tank. Everything is in my office and I don't run a dehumidifier. I've had no issues associated with moisture absorption of the plastics. No popping or rough builds. What's even more surprising is that the material I've been using was bought off eBay for $13. I expected all sorts of issues and so far I've run into none of the ones that I used to encounter when using the enormous Stratasys FDM machines.

Wow! That is surprising I had popping with novamaker and 3dhero. Nothing else and my house stays humid.

I haven't tried ABS yet. Just don't see the need.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting article.

What still surprises me is the first time I saw a 3d printer in action was 17 years ago at a demo. It would print a 3x3x3 object and it took forever. The machine also cost $37K from what the guy running it said. I was like "Meh. Call me when you can print about 8x8x8 for under $500." He laughed and so did the people watching the demo.

Who's laughing now?

Cyclone-G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys this topic sounds like some great material for a video on my YouTube channel! Those of you that have printers and are willing to share your experiences, successes and photos of parts, please contact me via email. I’d be happy to include your opinions as well. Everyone seems pretty excited to use the FDM technology. Contact me at [email protected]

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it and you’ll see. The parts are porous and the internal walls are honeycomb thin. It’s not like injection molded plastic, it’s just for making rapid prototypes. Some of the super high end $50k+ machines can do better parts but the home use machines aren’t designed to make high usage parts. HP has a pretty cool new printer that might work. It’s like $250k tho
Completely wrong I have parts that have been in my tank for years specifically Petg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back