3 magnesium tests reading different results

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i tested my two old salifert magnesium test kits with the new ones since ive noticed sometimes its off and to my surprise the difference is substantial. How can i know which one is correct?
Test kit 1: 1490
Test kit 2: 1440
Test kit 3( this is the old one ive been using) 1310
I was planning on doing an icp test to see which one is closest to their results.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I dealt with this today. I test Mg once a week post water change. Last week I did my tank transfer and tested all parameters when I was done. Mg was 1380ppm as tested using the last bit of my current Salifert Mg test kit. Today I checked all parameters, using a new Salifert Mg kit and the tank measured 1500. Like what the heck. All parameters are perfect and stable and the tank looks great so I’m not worried. But still. I can’t explain it. I dose ESV 2-part in equal amounts and I know the calcium component contains magnesium, but I didn’t think it was enough to cause a 1500ppm spike.

Alk - 7.6dKH dose 4.4ml
Mg - 1500
Ca - 450ppm
PO4 - .01ppm
NO3 - 2.5ppm

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding 3 up and divided by 3, maybe lol. I had my friend tested my mag by the Red Sea and it was consistent with my two years expired kit. Not sure if the Red Sea was accurate to begin with.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I dealt with this today. I test Mg once a week post water change. Last week I did my tank transfer and tested all parameters when I was done. Mg was 1380ppm as tested using the last bit of my current Salifert Mg test kit. Today I checked all parameters, using a new Salifert Mg kit and the tank measured 1500. Like what the heck. All parameters are perfect and stable and the tank looks great so I’m not worried. But still. I can’t explain it. I dose ESV 2-part in equal amounts and I know the calcium component contains magnesium, but I didn’t think it was enough to cause a 1500ppm spike.

Alk - 7.6dKH dose 4.4ml
Mg - 1500
Ca - 450ppm
PO4 - .01ppm
NO3 - 2.5ppm
Did you double check? Has to be a test kit error, ive noticed salifert test kits arent too accurate, i had an issue with the calcium one too. I think i will just test all 3 the day i take the water sample for the icp test and see which one is right.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But which one is right or closest to the real result? Lol

Even the ICP test is going to have a range of accuracy and precision. Also I would giggle if you get a split result between two with ICP. I totally get the desire to want to be spot on.. But as many people here will tell you it's about stability, pick one test that's repeatable for you and get it to your target value and hold it there. BRS recommends the aquaforest mg test because it comes with a correction for calcium.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you double check? Has to be a test kit error, ive noticed salifert test kits arent too accurate, i had an issue with the calcium one too. I think i will just test all 3 the day i take the water sample for the icp test and see which one is right.

Did the test twice. Same result, 1485 and 1500. I have another unopened kit. I’ll do it with that kit tomorrow. Tank looks great so I don’t really care all that much, but it is mind boggling.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those tests are ok for the margin of error they have and do not point to problems. I would not worry (but I personally prefer to keep Mg around 1150-1300).

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back