30" square tank, 24" or 36" T5's?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having a hard time deciding between 24" fixture or 36" fixture for my 30G Deep blue. I'm 100% locked on using 4 t5's and a reef bright, same set up as my current DT (easy tank to tank acclimation). I'd really like to use 2 24" Coallife fixtures but I'm not sure I'll get enough coverage. I can put the lights at any level and note this tank is breeder style, about 12" high. Any feedback's appreciated, I need to pull the trigger today.

On a side note, if you have any feedback or input on any difference I would have with coral growth or color if I used an inexpensive fixture like coralife ($80) verse a very expensive dimple fixture like the ATI ($380). Timers are easy and my t5's on my 90 gallon don't dim and the corals are just fine. Am I missing something these ATI fixtures can do that coralife's can't in terms of coral growth or color?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24” is plenty unless your going to have rock scape to the glass. There is no need to light the glass on the ends of the tank. If your using 4 T5s I think the less expensive light will do fine on a tank as shallow as yours and is the way I would go. Only you know your budget and goals for the tank.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
24” is plenty unless your going to have rock scape to the glass. There is no need to light the glass on the ends of the tank. If your using 4 T5s I think the less expensive light will do fine on a tank as shallow as yours and is the way I would go. Only you know your budget and goals for the tank.
Thanks that's what I was hoping for. I'll be mindful of how the rockscape effects the spectrum.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" fixture will be fine and preferred over a fixture that is longer than your tank.

In regards to the fixtures, the difference between higher end fixtures and cheaper fixtures usually relates to difference in ballast quality, reflectors, and active / passive cooling (and form factor as some units like Giesmann T5 just look sleek!). Each of those factors will impact the T5 bulb life and actual light intensity that can be achieved. My ATI fixture puts out about 50% more par than my old aquatic life T5 fixtures. However, the aquatic life fixtures I had were very good for the price point, and I didn't necessarily need the extra par until I switched to mostly all T5. In your situation, the coralife fixture may be adequate depending on what you are wanting to grow. If the coralife will get you to a par range you need for your coral desires, then the extra cost for a higher end fixture may not be worth it to you.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I
24" fixture will be fine and preferred over a fixture that is longer than your tank.

In regards to the fixtures, the difference between higher end fixtures and cheaper fixtures usually relates to difference in ballast quality, reflectors, and active / passive cooling (and form factor as some units like Giesmann T5 just look sleek!). Each of those factors will impact the T5 bulb life and actual light intensity that can be achieved. My ATI fixture puts out about 50% more par than my old aquatic life T5 fixtures. However, the aquatic life fixtures I had were very good for the price point, and I didn't necessarily need the extra par until I switched to mostly all T5. In your situation, the coralife fixture may be adequate depending on what you are wanting to grow. If the coralife will get you to a par range you need for your coral desires, then the extra cost for a higher end fixture may not be worth it to you.
Thanks for the input. I also didn't realize they have a HO version and non. The cheaper cost was the Non HO version. I'm getting my LFS to order me an ATI

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back