3D printed hang on filter?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm not a 3D printer guy yet. Not even a novice. I'm 3D-curious. If I wanted to print a hang on filter, with the box, intake, etc...What 3D printer would you recommend that could accommodate that complexity? Time isn't really an object but I'd like to know the expected time for any suggestions over an hour or two. I'm trying to figure out if it's economical for an aquarist like me with many aquariums to invest in that. Again, I'm less than a novice so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Don't worry about an impeller seat and stuff - I won't use one. Just a box with an overflow and an intake tube.

Thanks!

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try something like an inside the tank filter. Water flows in from the top past filter media and then gets pushed back out via a powerhead.

There may be a file in thingiverse that you could use as an example such as this.

As far as 3D printing goes. I’ve printed out some basic prints such as media chamber inserts, filter floss cups, brine shrimp hatcheries, LED light shades, and tube holders. They all take a long time. Small prints take hours. Large prints can take days. I have an Ender 3 v2. In hindsight I should’ve went with the v1 because of there being more guides and support for the v1.

PLA prints are fairly easy, but not recommended for in tank use. PETG prints have been very problematic for me. I haven’t tried a PETG print in a while, because of the high amount of frustration.

It’ll be much easier for you if you have someone nearby that you could get assistance with setting up and calibrating the printer, understanding file settings, and troubleshooting problems.

112DF1A6-2EE1-4A3A-B736-01D744F0F34A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy with no resources other than the internet (Youtube taught me to drive stick-shift 6 years ago and I've driven nothing else since) am I under-equipped? I need no inserts at all. Just the filter box in an appropriate plastic would be great.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically any printer that fits the box on the build plate. Though to be honest aquaclear and Walmart hang on filters are pretty cheap. Any larger and acrylic is recommended.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy with no resources other than the internet (Youtube taught me to drive stick-shift 6 years ago and I've driven nothing else since) am I under-equipped? I need no inserts at all. Just the filter box in an appropriate plastic would be great.

You could certainly do it and figure it out without a doubt, but there is a learning curve for sure. Will share my limited experience as an example.

I am a novice 3d-printer. Like to consider myself reasonably intelligent. About 2 days into my 3d-printing experience though i was close to getting out a sledgehammer. First few hours i could print nothing. Finally got the hang of that and started using ABS rather than PLA and that is where my frustration really started.

So many tries of printing without being able to get good bed adhesion when using abs. Lots of warping issues, etc. After a lot of cussing and a bit of learning i can now print small items with ABS just fine. However i would struggle a lot with trying to do something like a filter box. When printing larger items i still have a lot of issues with warping(and related cracking/seperation) as the ABS cools at different rates(going to eventually build a box to enclose the printer to hopefully help with that).

As for how long it takes you should plan on many hours of printing for something that size. Ideally you can make it as modular as possible so its not all a single print. Otherwise when something goes wrong 18 hours in it is very frustrating.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just looking for a hang-on filter I’d recommend getting an Aquaclear or similar and being done with it. 3D printing is time consuming, can be noisy, and sometimes gives me headaches from the melting plastic. There is also having to make sure the bed is always level and clean, nozzle is clear and clean, keeping the room temperature stable, along with many other minor annoyances. I wouldn’t recommend buying a 3D printer to save money.

But, if you like creating things and can get past the “sledgehammer” amount of frustration when learning, it can be very satisfying finally getting that print to print like you wanted.
Like to consider myself reasonably intelligent. About 2 days into my 3d-printing experience though i was close to getting out a sledgehammer.
;Joyful

OP
OP
Privateye

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info guys, thanks! I didn't realize it would take that long, and it's good to know about the warping risks in advance. The modular idea is a good one. I have a few Aquaclears. They are great filters. I'm guessing those are injection-molded. Probably a better option if you're making a ton of them!

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd be hesitant to use a 3dp as a hangon filter just because they naturally can be a porous... id be afraid it would start dripping and leaking over time.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back