3gal. Pico. What's in yours? Filtration/stock

sc8kv123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank my water, live rock, and sand came from. Always clean as a whistle when it comes to algae.

kitchen tank.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys trying to cut down or eliminate water changes? Because I thought with weekly or maybe even bi monthly wcs a skimmer is unnecessary and a refugium is great for ph and water volume but would take up valuable space for me. So far my parameters have been great with weekly 25% water changes and all I have is a heater, bag of purgen, filter floss, and a bb sponge.
I've heard the same thing from some people and do a 25-35% water change every week and all parameters are good, I have purchased several skimmers and that's been a disaster from the hydro slim to the reef octopus nano, too many micro bubbles to say the least, all went back to Amazon. I've just heard good things about a refugium and thought it would be easy to do , as I've said I'm a newby and trying to figure out all the mechanical stuff is hard:( oh and I have a Aqua clear 20 hob with pretty much what you have so I guess we are doing something right.!:)

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I added a refugium to my 3 gal. It's an air tight container that is gravity fed back to the filter. It seems to work great and is growing chaeto like a boss. (At least for a nano)

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg
Will you come to my house and show me how to set that up? :D

sc8kv123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do a quick build thread for you when I get home from work if you are interested? It was a really easy project to do and it took maybe an hour to finish. Like I said before, I've had great results from it. I trim back the chaeto once every couple weeks now.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, it's a work in progress. I was hoping someone would catch the movie. haha. classic. Heres the display of that tank if you are interested.

tank.jpg
Awesome tank. Really. Great photography too. Does the puffer nip at anything. I had one that was a nightmare. Here's my 29bio. Wife says I can do my big bulid in next house. Coming soon

1448501070193.jpg

sc8kv123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer pic

1448501543745.jpg

Thanks man, I love it. That picture is from a while back when I had the puffer still and it did some damage to a couple colonies of zoas and that's when I had it. Now it hangs out in my fowlr tank.. I couldn't get rid of him, such a fun to watch fish. Ugh, I wish I still had my biocube. I'm really interested in drilling one out for a sump and what not. I look forward to seeing your upgrade, I'm in the process myself.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do a quick build thread for you when I get home from work if you are interested? It was a really easy project to do and it took maybe an hour to finish. Like I said before, I've had great results from it. I trim back the chaeto once every couple weeks now.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank you but you don't need to do it now, it's the holiday but at a later time I would really like that. Thanks so much!!:)

Huy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang yall have nice big tanks. I only have a 3 gallon picotope. Cant get a bigger tank until I get my 2nd home :(

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
hey there and

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3 gallon, it's also on my night stand next to my bed. I don't really run anything special for filtration. Just some carbon, chaeto and some live rock in the back and a polishing pad.

1449124539547.jpg

Huy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 3 gallon, it's also on my night stand next to my bed. I don't really run anything special for filtration. Just some carbon, chaeto and some live rock in the back and a polishing pad.

1449124539547.jpg
Zoa dominant pico? Zoas don't like my tank for some reason. They do Okay but they don't thrive or grow as much as I want them to. Maybe my tank is too clean?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa dominant pico? Zoas don't like my tank for some reason. They do Okay but they don't thrive or grow as much as I want them to. Maybe my tank is too clean?
I keep my tank pretty clean and they spawn like crazy. Zoas have been pretty easy for me to keep. What do you keep you salinity at and magnesium and calcium?

Huy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank pretty clean and they spawn like crazy. Zoas have been pretty easy for me to keep. What do you keep you salinity at and magnesium and calcium?
Last time I check was 5 months ago my salinity is usually around 1.025, cal 440, alk is 9. Magnesium is unknown.
I however do a 15-20 percent water change every 5 days. Everything else is doing great and exploding in growth. Just my zoas grow really slow but they do grow. There is one zoa frag I've had for a year that only grew 1 head. Even my blastos welsi grew a new small head and I would consider that harder than zoas.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like those anymore only have a few left in my 30 gallon tank. Pretty sure I got poisoned by them last year. I was scrubbing algae off of rocks with a toothbrush that had those on them too trying to be careful but I think I got some in my eye. My I was very irritated for two days followed by migraines chills fever and flu like symptoms for 4 days it was horrible. Even though they're so pretty and it's fine if you're careful I just look past them at the store

Huy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like those anymore only have a few left in my 30 gallon tank. Pretty sure I got poisoned by them last year. I was scrubbing algae off of rocks with a toothbrush that had those on them too trying to be careful but I think I got some in my eye. My I was very irritated for two days followed by migraines chills fever and flu like symptoms for 4 days it was horrible. Even though they're so pretty and it's fine if you're careful I just look past them at the store
Wow I heard horror stories of paly toxins. Didn't know it was that common.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 122 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back