48" x 18" x 16" waterflow - are MP40s overkill?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a new tank build, and went with 2x "shallow"- style reef aquariums. Dims are 48" long x 18" deep x 16" high. I was planning to use 2x MP40s each tank, in the back so they are well hidden (I know...very pricey setup).

I wanted the MP40s for mostly cosmetic reasons. Also easy maintenance. Planned placement was in the back of the tanks, maybe 1/3 from ends and 6in down. The cords will not be visible. Turn them way down, maybe use a nem guard to give wider flow. But I'm questioning if this is massive overkill. Any alternate ideas?

MP10s won't work because the tanks are rimless and glass is too thick. I might be ok with a gyre at the top on one side, but both sides is no-go. I hate visible cables.

One tank will be softy dominant, second one mixed reef with SPS. So maybe different configurations for each tank. However aquascape will be alot more open for SPS tank than the softy one.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, I find the MP40 a tad under powered so I’d think you’d be fine. Might look at the RPM also.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Mp40 will be great. Tip of the day is to clean them with citric acid, not vinegar. Some feel vinegar will destroy the magnet over time..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back