5 dead fish within 24 hours. WHAT IS HAPPENING????

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iʻve lost these fish since yesterday. golden male rhomboid, blue reef chromis, male bartlett anthias, super male flame wrasse, banngai cardinal, are among the casualties since yesterday. no new additions (coral/fish) only a ball of chaeto that I added. salinity-1.027, temp 78F, PH-8.2. phosphate .01ppm, nitrate .1ppm.

Last edited:

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is your tank?? Mantis!!!??? Do you have any other fish that have been able to succesfully keep? did you cure your rock? what water do you use?? give some description as to your filtration or setup? seems to me a lot is going wrong if even a reef chromis died or you have a killer in the tank!!!!!

Renegade Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought Chromis will nearly survive a nuke. Something don't sound right. I'm assuming this is a reef tank with the salinity being that high?

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, weird though that i didnʻt add anything. I did notice that the fish were breathing hard......the blue reef chromis did have like a bite mark on its gills... maybe my golden dwarf morays are turning evil?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have the fish simply disappeared or have you found any corpses? If you've found any corpses could you describe their appearance?

also how long have each of the fish been in the tank?

VIPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia. Whatever you introduced to the tank was dying or already dead or possibly some filter malfunctioning. It is possible that by the time you check the ammonia in your tank today traces of ammonia have already dissappeared. Sorry about the losses.

HTH,
djfrankie

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have the fish simply disappeared or have you found any corpses? If you've found any corpses could you describe their appearance?

also how long have each of the fish been in the tank?

i haven't found the banngai yet. i saw the blue reef when it was swimming weird and looked like it had a bite mark on it's gill plate then i haven't found it since. i did find the flame,rhomboid,bartletts. they seemed "shocked" like stiff bent.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone spray air freshness in the room the tank is In? I had this happen and that was the cause. Sorry bro.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone spray air freshness in the room the tank is In? I had this happen and that was the cause. Sorry bro.
now you mention it.... i did change our sheets recently and sprayed lysol in 2 rooms but they're upstairs. the tank is downstairs.
Anyone had their golden dwarf morays turn evil and eat your fish?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you found the bodies- it wasn't the morays. They don't nip, they eat things whole. So yea, if you found even one or two corpses, for good or bad it's not the morays I'd be blaming, instead look towards chemical contaminants (doubt the lysol made it down from upstairs) or something that caused a waste spike.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. Looks like you have already gone through the list of the usual suspects. Is there a possibility of shock? Any electrical leak of any kind? Any malfunctioning probe?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the possible electrical, have you tested for a current in the tank?? If not you may want to....

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the cheato prior to adding it to the system? I totally missed this when I read the first post appearantly.....ahhh nothing like waking up to start posting on here....:wink:

Back