OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On the plus side, you don’t see this kind of coloration on your mitre saw every day!

11D85ED4-EA3C-48F0-B06A-0A3174CAB4C4.jpeg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plus side, you don’t see this kind of coloration on your mitre saw every day!

11D85ED4-EA3C-48F0-B06A-0A3174CAB4C4.jpeg
Make sure you clean up those sharp edges inside and out. I used a utility knife and file but really wished I had a proper inner-outer reamer.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had issues with primer/cement staying in place if you don’t file down edges?
I've never NOT done it so I can't say. But it definitely helps with dry fitting. They slide into fittings better and are more easily removed. Also the inside edge I want cleaned up just for smoother water flow.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need advice on a noisy sump:

The sock chamber (yes I want to use socks) is significantly higher than the water height for the skimmer so the water crashes down into the socks and makes a racket.

I put filter floss across the top, and even jammed some into the socks, but I’m trying to get it even quieter.

What solutions have you used to silence water dropping down?

Do you have the filter sock silencers? They work wonders

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have the filter sock silencers? They work wonders

I've looked at those, and I can't fathom spending $20/sock on a silencer. That said, this is not a cheap hobby.

Have you had luck using those silencers? I see ones available from Modular Marine, Synergy Reefs, and Advanced Acrylics.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've looked at those, and I can't fathom spending $20/sock on a silencer. That said, this is not a cheap hobby.

Have you had luck using those silencers? I see ones available from Modular Marine, Synergy Reefs, and Advanced Acrylics.
I have 2 in my current setup and just installed 4 7" ones on my buddies 600 gallon. Mine came from GEO reef and his came from synergy reef. They are over priced but I think they work awesome. Instead of the water coming in on just one side of the sock, it disperses evenly across the opening.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you add some photos showing the water entry and exit points from the filter sock section?

Absolutely. Pics attached, showing the bottom slit where the water enters the skimmer section (at the bottom of the sump so water has to go through the socks). The drain pipes are not above the socks so I can't extend them down (that was probably a design oversight on my part)

Baffles are PVC, and not adjustable, but easily drillable. I'm looking at a 6" drop from the 15" sock top height.

My thought right now is to bite the bullet on the $50 in sock silencers and then add some loofas in each one to minimize the drop. Or, I could potentially hack off the bottom of the bulkheads to allow for 90 degree elbows to get piping into the socks.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 10.09.23 AM.png

IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0600.JPG

Last edited:

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is very similar on the drain entry side, I would definitely add PVC extensions on the drain bulkheads, extend it down well below the water line. This is done straight off the bulkhead down into the water chamber before it spills over onto the socks. You don't need to glue it just slip fit it in. You dont need the plumbing going directly into the socks.

Add the silencers as well. Between that I thank this will cut the noise down a bunch.

This is how mine is setup and is very quiet.

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How about simply reducing flow?

it is a racket with any amount of flow. 6” is a long way down - oddly enough, a huge amount of flow is quieter, but it’s still loud.

I think the multipronged approach with shorter bulkheads, loofas, and sock silencers should do it!

OP
OP
Blue Tang Clan

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing update: I have to wait for a few more fittings (arriving Monday) before I can finish my support tank plumbing.

The issue is - I have corals and fish that really need to come over from my old house.

Are there any big downsides to filling my frag tank below the water overflow line and putting in corals? Lights are ready to go, and I could manually does ask/cal - just no plumbing.

how long do you think I could go without plumbing (filtration) before issues arise?

684B1DC6-D118-4EEA-8E92-D5633E3E0E2F.jpeg

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask because I haven’t seen it mentioned. Could you just lay a cover over that chamber or would the noise still get out through the relief holes in the baffle?

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plumbing update: I have to wait for a few more fittings (arriving Monday) before I can finish my support tank plumbing.

The issue is - I have corals and fish that really need to come over from my old house.

Are there any big downsides to filling my frag tank below the water overflow line and putting in corals? Lights are ready to go, and I could manually does ask/cal - just no plumbing.

how long do you think I could go without plumbing (filtration) before issues arise?

684B1DC6-D118-4EEA-8E92-D5633E3E0E2F.jpeg
You could hang some powerheads in it. Not much different from a setup they run at frag shows

Last edited:
Back