OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than waiting for new moonlight leds from rapid led, the tank and stand are pretty much done. Got the sump figured out for layout. Ordered about sixty five lbs of MarcoRocks, eighty lbs of sand and Dr tim's.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry for being slow to get back to it, I have a good excuse.

My best buddy suddenly got ill last week and died on Saturday. I've been a bit of a wreck.
Phone 004.jpeg

So, Marcorocks, moonlights and Dr. Tim's are all here. Transferred all live rock, fish, corals , heaters, pumps and lights from the 20g display to a 37 gallon Rubbermaid tote and added more water total volume now in tote is approximately 35 gallons. Moved the Sand from the display and old 20 gallon sump into the new 30 gallon sump and again added more water. Total water volume is now about 55 gallons. Still need to remove the old display, hang a couple sheets of drywall (basement is unfinished) so we can work around it later, install new moonlights and play with the new Marco logs (sort of like Lincoln logs, but better) . Move the 65g into place where it's going to sit for probably another year or so and then fill it up. I figure I should be able to transfer all the water from the tote and sump into the display and just add water to fill and Dr. Tim's, I should be on the way to a quick cycle. Feeling a little lazy tonight so I'll hang drywall tomorrow.

Last edited:

oceangirl2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss, I know how devastating it is to lose a pup. When I lost my best friend, I focused on my tank, it gave me something to do and focus on.

I LOVE your stand, that is so unique! I wish I could find something like that.

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. We had to put our foundation downthe day after Christmas. She is in my avatar.

Anyways, good luck with your buil! I just picked up a 65 too.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall is up, stand and tank in place, rock and sand installed and sump is in place.

Attachments

• 1391990979670.jpg
    1391990979670.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has water, sump has water, live rock and chaeto, have full circulation now for two days after replacement of both overflow bulkheads (fresh seals make a HUGE difference). No canopy yet although the new moonlight kit is installed. I want to get everything into the tank initially before putting the top on it. The water is just about clear and up to temp. GETTING there! :wink:

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, to update progress on the 65. Dog died on the first of Feb., Monday (Feb.3) to get my mind off the dog I got the 65 filled with half the water from the old tank and half the live rock and an eight ounce bottle of Dr. Tims‘ while everything corals, fish and inverts from the old tank played nice in a 37 gallon brute totewith the other half of the live rock and water. Three days later my wife’s dad had a stroke. At that point I hadn‘t gotten more water yet for water changes. So, the empty tank continues to cycle with everything else going on for about a week. Valentine’s Day, while reaching for something on a shelf next to the 37 tote, I proceed to dump ¾ of a bag of fish food into the the container with all the corals and fish. As soon as this stuff hits the water it starts to dissolve and cloud the water. PANIC MODE!

I had no water, I hadn’t even bothered to test the water in the big tank, but it had been running for almost two weeks with seasoned water and Dr. Tims‘. I don’t drive and my wife is a bookkeeper at a large very popular garden center (remember... it’s Valentine’s Day) It was up to temperature and all so I figure „Screw it! I hope this works.“

I started transferring corals from the (by this time) completely polluted tote to the DT. Two more days of running around and, as of last night, things don’t look too bad. Just in case, I did get the carbon reactor on line so hopefully if I DO get a spike it won’t be too disastrous. Zooas and palys are open, anemone is a tad ****** off, I may lose my orange monti cap and seasons greetings monti but I hope not. Now tonight, I get to go home and test.

Wish me luck.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time, since the emergency tank changeover everything seems to be doing very well. I did lose sill of my Montis so that's a bummer but, everything else seems to have made the move fairly well. Rainbow bubble tip (scooter) has found his spot and he moves back and forth between the front of the Rick and the back of the rock every morning and evening.

Zoas and palys are growing and having babies.

And, since my dog died at such an early age, we've added another member of the family.

Meet my new seven week old Newfoundland.
1393969643954.jpg

It's going to be a while before I can added anything else to the tank. So, more updates at a later time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!!! I finally did my up grade to a 90.
NICE!, I bet the wife isn't too happy... lol

Btw, I'm ready for that hurricane any time. If you wanna trade I have a decent piece of tangerine leptoseris that has about half encrusted a frag plug. I got it from a Cherry Corals Live sale about a year ago. Seems to be going strong. I wouidn't be afraid to cut a frag from my colony of pink monti digi. Let me know.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back