8G Nano - Calcium Reactor ?

Cássio H. C. Gebara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I would like the opinion of the experts about consider the use of Calcium Reactor on my 8G Nano for SPS's.
I had some years ago a bigger tank (~200lts) full of SPS's using a Calcium Reactor but the Reef tank has disassembled due to some particular problems I had.
Some years ago I started a 8G tank as you can see on link bellow, which is doing great with some softs and some LPS's, but my real passion is the SPS's.
I have a small Acropora on this tank, but it grows very slowly. I´m considering use my Calcium Reactor but not sure about it, regarding the tank size x Calcium Reactor impact.
What do you recommend ? Is there any concern (pH impact for example) ?
Please let me know your thoughts !

Regards,

Cássio

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds like a fancy turbo setup ha nice. You'll be able to measure ph to see if that works on that small of a volume etc. i can say though that we are able to drive strong sps growth in nanos by focusing on the feeding/high quality protein and vitamins and minerals and not so much the params for ions. those who change water weekly are getting away with using any salt mix, any variation for calcium and alk. they're feeding and exchanging water and driving growth that way; the water changes are helping balance ions that arent being turbo'd by reactors, but no harm in using both ways if you have the gear!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out Martiza as a prime example. about one gallon, but they have enough coral in there for seven years we can see would truly pull out some ions from solution and be running short on ions if it mattered more than feeding. they're solid stony corals.

yet its like clockwork: change a little water weekly and feed that rascal really well occasionally. Maritza is using benepets reef powdered dry feed.

perhaps you'd accelerate stony coral growth faster with calcium reactor, not sure. it w be hard to contain the growth eventually though, not sure Id turbo charge it. the regular way works great long term and cheap, but its less tinkering and imagining the jets and connections and hoses to run a calcium reactor seems cool from a tinkerer's standpoint.

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters though ? I wouldnt think that you would need a cal reactor for 1 sps frag.

They are mainly for tanks that need huge amounts of dosing done daily,and for that reactors substitute some dosing. If you were keeping nothing but acro's and you were dosing say 100-150ml of cal,mag alk a day I would say it may be a good venture. Sounds like conditions judt arent optimal for the sps and growth is slim to none because of that.

How is flow ?! What par is it getting ? What are nutrient levels ? What salt are you using ?

In my sps pico cube,I was dosing about 40ml of alk,cal,mag every few days,doing 50% water changes on the weekends with red Sea Coral Pro and using Red Sea supplements and had great coloration and okay growth,nothing to write home about.

Use a quality salt,test,keep things stable,good flow,just the right amount of nutrients and it will take off.

There aren't many revirws on it,but for $65 the ViaAqua Cal-Reactor may be something to think about. Built in pump ect ect,all you will need is a paintball tank,paintball tank regulator,the reactor and media. I just got done pricing it all and for $122ish for everything is a fraction of a normal cal reactor besides the AquaMaxx one for $150.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see why if wouldn't work if it is monitored closely but I think it would be easier to do weekly water changes maybe with an elevated salt mix or just dose all-for-reef.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see why if wouldn't work if it is monitored closely but I think it would be easier to do weekly water changes maybe with an elevated salt mix or just dose all-for-reef.

All-for-reef is definitely a good option.

Oh I forgot,its a smidge higher if you use a ph monitor like PinPoint which is $100 at MarineDepot or BulkReefSupply. Which I would use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back