a couple of new pics...

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new led lights today..snapped a few pics :xd:....
IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

Thanks for looking...and as always comments are welcome...:bigsmile:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you post process these? Just not sure what to think about the yellow bottom.....what am I seeing - is the tank barebottom or painted yellow?

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bottom is white sand..I took the pics and auto adjusted them and cropped them using windows photo gallery. didn't change anything else...

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "auto adjust" what do you mean exactly? It looks like the saturation was definitely turned way up as sand typically doesn't show up as yellow in pics. I'm not being critical. However, if you would like some tips to get more realistic colors of the corals AND sand, we are happy to help.

What auto adjustments did you make?

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to windows photo gallery hit the fix button and then it opens a menu and I only use the auto adjust button and then crop the pic if there are parts that are fuzzy or don't look right.. I'll go back in to it and undo the auto adjust and see what changes in the picture..

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would be interested to see what the pics look like without the adjust. Tank lighting is not kind to cameras for sure! I think the auto adjust is just not sure what to do with the lighting that the LED's put off. Are you using a point & shoot? If so, does it have a custom white balance setting?

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah using a cannon powershot.. It has an auto white balance function, and then I shoot it in manual. I'll take some new pics and leave them raw and post them.. the colors of the corals are almost exact to what they look like with just the blues on. I'll take a few new ones and post them...

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you set the custom white balance for your tank and, if so, how did you do it? There are a couple of good methods of doing that with a Canon PS and I'll be happy to help you with them if you would like. That way, you can get the natural look of the corals with the natural look of the sand as well. Just let me know and I'll walk you through it : )

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along we just got a cannon PS sd1300IS not to long ago, and still tryng to figure it out

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some new pics. The sand is bluish/white. I set the auto white balance by using a white wall. The colors in the pics arent as bright as they are in the tank. I'll have to post later my wife is on my laptop and that's where the pics are.

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you set the custom white balance for your tank and, if so, how did you do it? There are a couple of good methods of doing that with a Canon PS and I'll be happy to help you with them if you would like. That way, you can get the natural look of the corals with the natural look of the sand as well. Just let me know and I'll walk you through it : )

Def interested in learning some different ways to take good pics....

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Henry, when you say you set the white balance by taking a picture of a white wall, I am assuming that was outside of the tank? In order to properly set the white balance, you need to go into the white balance settings of your camera (see user guide) and set the white balance by taking a picture of something inside of your tank. Sometimes this can be done by taking a picture of the sand but you will need to ensure that the entire frame is white only (nothing in background, no rock, coral, etc). They also sell white cards that you can use for this. This will tell the camera what the color white "should be" when taking pics inside of the tank. This should help to balance out the other colors as well so that you can take a more balanced photo. With SLR cameras, most will shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance in post processing (with Photoshop type program). With a point & shoot, you don't have that option. So properly setting the white balance is key to ensure your pics aren't too washed out (or have that "glowing" look to them).

I am not a professional photographer by any means. I have learned what I know from reading a lot of the stickies on this forum and asking a lot of questions. I recommend you read any thread on here that gparr has started. He is a professional photographer (as well as a fellow mod here at R2R) and takes some of the best reef photos I've ever seen. He may chime in here as well as I'm sure there are more technical terms for the items I mentioned above. Once you are able to get the white balance set properly, your overall reef shots should look much more realistic. I hope this helps a bit.

Try some of these tips and post what you come up with photo wise. To give you an idea, if I take 100 pics of my tank, I'm typically happy with just a few of them. The key is to get your settings in order, take lots of pics, and have fun doing it! : )

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Craig, yeah it was a wall. i'll keep playing with the settings and keep taking pics until they come out right. like I mentioned earlier it took lots of pic taking to be able to get decent pics with the metal halides and t-5's now i gotta start over and learn different ways to take pics. The thing that gets me is that the colors are right its just anything thats white is off.....

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mention this in the thread that these are just with the blue leds on and not the whites..

OP
OP
Henry C

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some new pics..came out alot better will post later....

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy yellow and nuclear glow batman! Have you ever tried Picasa by Google... I always seen to get decent post pics from that software.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought that the fish just peed in the snow ;) Would love to see the new pics when you get the chance.

CJ

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back