A few mantis questions

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought a used Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 30L aquarium that had one inhabitant - a green mantis shrimp (about 4" long). I eventually wanted to get one to keep in the refugium section in a 120 gallon tank that I'll be getting, so right now this is a temporary home. A couple weeks in and he's doing great. But I'm not sure how much to feed, and the tank is getting covered in algae with no clean up crew! My questions:

1. Is there anything I can add for clean up crew that won't be hunted and killed by the mantis? Will they go after hermit crabs and all types of snails?
2. What and how often do you feed? All I've fed it so far is cut up pieces of frozen shrimp. I've been doing about 1/4" square piece every other day. That's a pretty solid chunk of meat. Compared to what each of my fish eat, it's a ton. Which is also probably contributing to the algae... I don't want to starve the mantis, but should I feed less? I just don't know how much they need - but they seem to be pigs if it's there for them. :)

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks,
--Kyle

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm no expert, but I'll try to help. @ritter6788 knows a lot about mantis shrimps! Also, maybe someone on the #reefsquad can help.

Is there anything I can add for clean up crew that won't be hunted and killed by the mantis? Will they go after hermit crabs and all types of snails?
Not sure any CUC will be safe. I do know that pretty much all snails and crabs are on the menu.
What and how often do you feed? All I've fed it so far is cut up pieces of frozen shrimp. I've been doing about 1/4" square piece every other day. That's a pretty solid chunk of meat. Compared to what each of my fish eat, it's a ton. Which is also probably contributing to the algae... I don't want to starve the mantis, but should I feed less?
not sure on how much to feed. As long as he's consuming all of it, I'd think you're ok.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure any CUC will be safe. I do know that pretty much all snails and crabs are on the menu.
not sure on how much to feed. As long as he's consuming all of it, I'd think you're ok.

Thanks! I didn't think much would be safe. I wondered if hermit crabs might be too small / too little meat for them to mess with.

Ha, well, he disappears into his rock with the food as soon as he grabs it, so I don't know for sure. :)

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis will hide/ bury any extra . I would feed only as much as he can consume 2_3 timea a week .

Great, thank you. Side note - what's a good way to catch him when I'm ready to move him? He hides in a large rock and I probably won't want him in that when I move him into the refugium... Thanks again,
--Kyle

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speciman cup or container is the best way.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is there anything I can add for clean up crew that won't be hunted and killed by the mantis? Will they go after hermit crabs and all types of snails?
2. What and how often do you feed? All I've fed it so far is cut up pieces of frozen shrimp. I've been doing about 1/4" square piece every other day. That's a pretty solid chunk of meat. Compared to what each of my fish eat, it's a ton. Which is also probably contributing to the algae... I don't want to starve the mantis, but should I feed less? I just don't know how much they need - but they seem to be pigs if it's there for them. :)

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks,
--Kyle

Need to know what type of mantis you have. A tiny N. wennerae isn't going to smash a giant Mexican turbo snail but will likely pick off smaller snails and hermit. An O. scyllarus or G. chiragra will probably smash about anything you throw in there if they feel like it. Anything you put in there is a risk but I had good success with urchins. Stomatopods didn't seem to be interested in them, YMMV.

I fed daily(ish) but in small amounts. Try smaller shrimp like mysis or krill. You don't want any left overs floating around. The mantis will bury any excess food which just pollutes the water. If they are molting don't feed any until you see them reappear.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know what type of mantis you have. A tiny N. wennerae isn't going to smash a giant Mexican turbo snail but will likely pick off smaller snails and hermit. An O. scyllarus or G. chiragra will probably smash about anything you throw in there if they feel like it. Anything you put in there is a risk but I had good success with urchins. Stomatopods didn't seem to be interested in them, YMMV.

I fed daily(ish) but in small amounts. Try smaller shrimp like mysis or krill. You don't want any left overs floating around. The mantis will bury any excess food which just pollutes the water. If they are molting don't feed any until you see them reappear.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have a lime green mantis shrimp (Geonodactylaceus sp). It's about 4" long. The guy I got it from claimed it was a peacock mantis, but it clearly isn't that.

So feed mysis in the water column and it will get them okay? Do I need to get larger mysis than what I feed to my small reef fish? Thanks again,
--Kyle

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some types of hermit crabs, such as the thin striped, that get 5-6 inches, and I would think that they are too big for a 4" mantis? I could sell you some if you want, PM me

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some types of hermit crabs, such as the thin striped, that get 5-6 inches, and I would think that they are too big for a 4" mantis? I could sell you some if you want, PM me

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard of those ones before. Probably not worth buying some from you unless you happen to be in the Kansas City area though :) Thanks,
--Kyle

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have a lime green mantis shrimp (Geonodactylaceus sp). It's about 4" long. The guy I got it from claimed it was a peacock mantis, but it clearly isn't that.

So feed mysis in the water column and it will get them okay? Do I need to get larger mysis than what I feed to my small reef fish? Thanks again,
--Kyle

Everyone of them are different. The goal is to feed but not over feed. You want them to eat but not leave any leftovers. You’re gonna have to experiment to see. Cut off small slices from frozen cubes of mysis or krill, thaw and feed with a turkey baster. You’ll get a good idea soon how much they will eat. Large chunks of table shrimp are a recipe for water pollution.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back