A little... snail? In my tank?

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently picked up a live rock from Petco. (I know, I know. It was relatively cheap and my grandma needed to also pick up some stuff. I'm doing once daily short freshwater dips to knock off anything.)

Today, two days later, I see him - this little tiny white snail! Is he a baby trochus, or something else by any chance? I can't get a better picture. The pink lighting is from an ACKE LED Light (usually used for refugiums. I got some help and I have a real light coming soon).

(You may be able to see a bristleworm against the glass in the corner - These are all bristleworms and no fireworms, believe me. They're all dull pinkish gray with white/clear bristles.)

snail.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is red but most likely a stomatella

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, it's the little white (well, pink) dot in the middle of the pic lol. Does sorta look like a stomatella. Seems to have a "ramshorn" type shell.
Turn off the pink light and shine a flashlight at the snail, then take a picture. If you see a spiral shell, it's not a Stomatella.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the pink light and shine a flashlight at the snail, then take a picture. If you see a spiral shell, it's not a Stomatella.
Yeah, I checked. It's got a 'ramshorn"-like shell, kind of like the ones that freshwater mystery snails have. I actually saw a second one earlier today. They seem to be almost totally white or transparent right now.

I actually picked up a rock from Petco on purpose (though slightly impulsive); this Petco is honestly really good about keeping stuff out of their tanks that's not wanted (i.e. fireworms, aiptasia, etc.). I wanted the detritus bristleworms and other stuff that came along. I also spotted a couple larger amphipods. There was a really fat bristleworm hiding on the rock! I know all of them are bristleworms specifically. I am doing short daily (or every other day) freshwater dips with distilled water just in case there is anything weird in there.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Finally* got a good picture of it without the light. This image is actually two views, one from the side and one from the bottom. It seems to have a shell like a freshwater mystery snail's, for shape comparison.
snail.png

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found a few more things in the tank as well - just going to post them here because I don't want to make a separate thread for each of them.

The first file: I imagine this is a normal bristleworm. I've noticed fireworms are often more shiny and yellow and have red at the base of their bristles; these are a dull pink with clear bristles. Every bristleworm I've removed from the live rock I've put back in because I notice they're just normal bristleworms, a part of your average clean up crew.

Second file: I imagine this tube is a little vermetid snail tube? I don't have anything important in the tank yet, so I don't think it's much of a problem. (Also, I don't even think it's alive. It's just the tube.)

Third file: To preface, I have a.... 'budget skimmer-fuge' deal on the back of my tank. (Really, I'm not sure what to call it.) It's a Fluval air-powered breeder box, and it's where I've been mainly throwing most of the detrivore bristleworms (and that's where most of them have stayed). It's insanely budget, (the box was like, $20) but I honestly like it. one area, the empty area, is going to be for a little chaeto ball in the future, but right now its where I plan to do water changes. The other area is rock - on one hand for some big particle filtration, another for some copepod and amphipod hiding spots. But what in god's name is this big red column of stuff that just appeared? It's free standing. I remember there being some bristleworms that hadn't moved on that side of the barrier - did it come from the possible death of these worms?

Attachments

• normal bristleworm or fireworm.png
    normal bristleworm or fireworm.png
    948.6 KB · Views: 29
  • vermetid snail tube maybe.png
    vermetid snail tube maybe.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • weird red algae stuff 2.png
    weird red algae stuff 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on that last stuff: what the heck, it can move a little. It may not be attached to anything. Could it be the start of some geniculate coralline algae? I wonder if I should move it. Right now, because it's in the "input area" of the budget-fuge, it can't go anywhere unless it decided to become sentient, grow legs, and crawl out of the safety overflow (for if the box gets flooded, it won't flood my floor).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back