A monster sponge? Found in a sump that's been in the dark a year

sav_lion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let a 150 gallon tank "go" basically for the better part of a year, and left it to nature. It found a way. I put water in it once in a while, sprinkle some flakes for the random damsels in there somewhere, but that's about it. No changing anything, water, filters, nothing. In the back of the sump, where daylight dare not tread, I found this a few days ago. It looks like a HUGE sponge. There are multiple in the sump, of various shapes and sizes. I've never had any in this tank. All that's in this tank are a few damsels, small critters like snails, ENDLESS bristle worms, and aiptasia over every inch that daylight touches. Is that what it is, a sponge of some type? There are definitely anemone, and limpets on the glass. Otherwise, just huge yellow masses in the sump the best I can tell without better lighting.

1699621399676.png
1699621449799.png

OP
OP
S

sav_lion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I mustered the courage to go diving, and got a chunk out. Creeping sponge of some kind? The thing encircled all the rocks in the sump! This is one rock of the many. It’s like someone poured silicone in there, I’m having to rip rocks free. I’ve never seen a creature “swallow” live rock to this degree. This is NOT small, it’s one torn piece of many

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 61

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a much much smaller piece of this kind of sponge in the back of my 15g AIO. I take it as a good sign of the tank maturing!

OP
OP
S

sav_lion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious why you removed it?

Because the ENTIRE tank is as I described. Aiptasia so mature they’re 2 inches long, bristle worms a foot long, as big around as your finger. The whole tank looks like this, check the photos. The wife wants something prettier, it had to go. So I’m saving the sponge, and dumping bleach on anything I can’t save. Even snails look like decorator crabs, carrying aiptasia, bristle worms, and hair algae. The tank is thriving, if you just count life. But it’s ooky. The pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0979.jpeg IMG_0972.jpeg IMG_0980.jpeg IMG_0981.jpeg IMG_0982.jpeg

Last edited:

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the ENTIRE tank is as I described. Aiptasia so mature they’re 2 inches long, bristle worms a foot long, as big around as your finger. The whole tank looks like this, check the photos. The wife wants something prettier, it had to go. So I’m saving the sponge, and dumping bleach on anything I can’t save. Even snails look like decorator crabs, carrying aiptasia, bristle worms, and hair algae. The tank is thriving, if you just count life. But it’s ooky. The pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_0978.jpeg IMG_0979.jpeg IMG_0972.jpeg IMG_0980.jpeg IMG_0981.jpeg IMG_0982.jpeg
Ahh...ok then..

8-Bit Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that's one of the scariest looking tanks Ive seen in a while, Id be very cautious moving my hand around in that bristle worm infested tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back