A new pair of Ingens seahorses

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of captive-bred Ingens seahorses online about three weeks ago. They are doing pretty well, but arrived being much smaller than I expected. (The website claimed they were "medium" sized, but these are really more like small juveniles IMO). So, instead of putting them in my display tank with my other seahorses (reidi-erectus hybrids) I have them in a smaller grow-out tank for now. Fortunately they are eating mysis well but I am also feeding them tigger pods and enriched adult live brine. They eat a lot!

I hope they do OK. Anybody out there have any luck with this species?
20170809_213436.jpg

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cute... are they always this slow? If so how do they stay alive in the wild!

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ingens seahorses are beautiful they can get almost 12" big. You would have to have a 36"- 48" high tank for them.

OP
OP
T

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cute... are they always this slow? If so how do they stay alive in the wild!
In general, seahorses are pretty slow eaters. In nature I think they are considered to be "camouflage predators", using their ability to blend in with their surroundings (rather than speed) to catch any unwitting prey that passes near them.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, seahorses are pretty slow eaters. In nature I think they are considered to be "camouflage predators", using their ability to blend in with their surroundings (rather than speed) to catch any unwitting prey that passes near them.
Awe! Sorry I love sea horses but I don't know much about them... can you place them in a reef tank? My tank is pretty mellow I don't have any live stock that's mean

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I was just going to say they are pretty aggressive eaters...for seahorses!

I wouldn't suggest putting seahorses in an average reef tank. They can't be with stingning corals (frogspawn, hammers) or anemones or clams or really aggressive eating fish. They also don't do well in the very turbulent waters most people have for their reef tanks. And cooler temps are best (72 ish)

You pretty much have to design a seahorse tank and possibly put some reef corals and critter in with the seahorses versus the other way around.

OP
OP
T

tjdouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe! Sorry I love sea horses but I don't know much about them... can you place them in a reef tank? My tank is pretty mellow I don't have any live stock that's mean
Hi Oceanwave,
I agree with Critterheaven that keeping seahorses in a reef tank is generally not a great idea. Seahorses need to be fed twice a day (which can wreak havoc on your reef tank's nitrate and phosphate levels), you need to keep the temp down to the low 70s or the seahorses are likely to get bacterial/viral infections, seahorses can't compete with more aggressive eaters such as tangs and clownfish and angels, and they can be severely stung by a number of LPS corals. Also the tank needs to be fairly tall, like 24" or more. So most people would advise against it. If your reef tank is mostly leather corals, mushrooms, blennies and scooters, is tall enough, and you keep the water temp in the low 70s it could work. But otherwise it is generally not a good idea.
Sorry not to have more encouraging news....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back