A priori micronutrient integration or on demand?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Some time ago I purchased a micronutrient integrator for my tank (https://www.arka-biotech.de/produkte/all-in-one-spurenelemente-meerwasser).

On the description it says:
MICROBE-LIFT All in One ensures a magnificent polyp display, more intense colours as well as improved vitality of your corals. The work required to care for a saltwater aquarium is reduced to a minimum.
All-In-One contains all essential trace elements, minerals, vitamins and amino acids in a perfectly coordinated ratio:
  • Calcium
  • Iodine/Bromide
  • Iron/thiamine B-1
  • Strontium & Molybdenum
  • Over 70 different micro- and macro-nutrients
  • Over 35 different vitamins and amino acids
Now, I finally got my first corals and I was wondering if I should use this on a regular basis or avoid it and use only when needed.
I think this product was inteded as a whole substitute for any kind of dosing (it should contain also Ca and Mg).
Until now I only used it few times as integrator for Fe and Iodine for my macros and crustaceans, but I am not sure if it could cause some harm.

Do you use micronutrient mixes on a regular basis or add only some micronutrients separately when you think they are needed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is just a bad set of translations, but I cannot recommend this product or set of methods. It's a very strange mix of materials, and the method has folks dose it regularly (needed or not) and their alk supplement only as needed.

Most folks would be much better off with a balanced calcium and alkalinity addition method of some sort.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks would be much better off with a balanced calcium and alkalinity addition method of some sort.
Thanks for the reply Randy! What about micronutrients then? would you dose it only when there are clues about some microelements missing or dose it once in a while a mix like mine?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Randy! What about micronutrients then? would you dose it only when there are clues about some microelements missing or dose it once in a while a mix like mine?

What trace elements to dose is a complex question and will vary by tank. Even without dosing, some tanks may have too much of some, and not enough of others.

Dosing a mixture can be OK if you look for improvements, but to tie calcium into it is not, IMO, best.

An ICP test can help you know what your tank needs, but in most tanks, iron and manganese are often useful.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What trace elements to dose is a complex question and will vary by tank. Even without dosing, some tanks may have too much of some, and not enough of others.

Dosing a mixture can be OK if you look for improvements, but to tie calcium into it is not, IMO, best.

An ICP test can help you know what your tank needs, but in most tanks, iron and manganese are often useful.
As far as I understood on different threads in german is that Ca is included but not in significant amounts (let's say it might be a marketing esploit).
What are usually the "signs" of some missing micros, other than Fe?
When I purchased this mix I was mainly concerned about iodide for crustaceans, as I understood that some might have problems with molting and die if iodide is not supplemented.
One day I will calculate how much money I wasted in supplements and items I did not really need XD

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I understood on different threads in german is that Ca is included but not in significant amounts (let's say it might be a marketing esploit).
What are usually the "signs" of some missing micros, other than Fe?
When I purchased this mix I was mainly concerned about iodide for crustaceans, as I understood that some might have problems with molting and die if iodide is not supplemented.
One day I will calculate how much money I wasted in supplements and items I did not really need XD

I personally do not believe that supplemental iodine is useful for most organisms we keep. I dosed it for years, and saw no change when I stopped. Others like dosing it.

There's no demonstrated need or use by crustaceans for iodine in the scientific literature.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not believe that supplemental iodine is useful for most organisms we keep. I dosed it for years, and saw no change when I stopped. Others like dosing it.

There's no demonstrated need or use by crustaceans for iodine in the scientific literature.
Ouch. This goes on my shame list for bad science practice :( I did not even check as it seems that everyone dose it for that reason.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. This goes on my shame list for bad science practice :( I did not even check as it seems that everyone dose it for that reason.

Many folks believe it helps their soft corals. I remain one of the more vocal critics of iodine dosing, but many folks do not dose it ever.

My suggestion is to dose it as an experiment and look for benefits, not as a "must do" sort of activity.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a very simple statement I can do and which can hardly be disproved: Also for micronutrients Liebig's law of the minimum (Liebig lived and worked not far from the place from which I am writing now, maybe 30 miles) applies. This law of the minimum says: As long as other nutrients are limiting, adding for example iodine is of little use. Only when iodine is limiting growth, adding iodine unfolds its full effect. :)

So the challenge is, to get out which nutrient(s) is (are) limiting, whether it is phosphate, iodine ore some transition metal or other nutrient.

However, what may happen when you add the limiting nutrient is, that another nutrient becomes limiting, it is even quite likely in my experience. So additions should be done as balanced as possible to have a good effect and not to cause other deficiencies.

Under these conditions iodine may have a very good and visible effect on polyp extension and growth, especially in gorgonians.

So every statement on nutrients has to be taken - how do you say? - with a grain of salt.:)

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back