A reef tank would be so much easier without these....or would it?

A reef tank would be so much easier without FISH. (see the thread)

• TRUE

Votes: 93 14.9%
  • FALSE

Votes: 430 68.8%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 102 16.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A reef rank is an excuse for me to keep more fish so no, I couldn’t imagine going fish-less! :eek:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted false. Fish are a great source of nutrients. I had to go fallow a while back and all my sps corals paled out from lack of nutrients. I had to supplement nitrates and phosphates until fish were ready to go back in. Plus fish are a great pest control mechanism. Wrasse eat all kinds of flatworms. And tangs eat algae.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all and all it would be easier without the fish but come on what's a reef tank without some kind of fish in there. They just go great together and compliment each other in my eyes. The same thing when it comes to a bare bottom tank as well. If you are at the beach or diving at the reef there are always fish and sand it just wouldn't not look natural without either of them. But one thing about it, it takes all kinds to make the world go around and everyone has a different opinion and we are like it different for sure. But when it comes to fish and reef there would be so much less to worry about without the fish but there would also be extra things to add to the tank without them as well for the corals and to keep other bad things out of the tank. There are so many things that the fish help with in a tank so it's kind of going with the thing that you don't mind doing the most, dealing with fish or dosing for the the things they help with. Loser of the two evils. But I just enjoy my fish way to much.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things here: corals are definitely the hardest part of a reef tank. Fish are way lower maintenance (unless all the corals are soft corals or the fish in question are known to be difficult to keep alive). So if you are looking for easy the solution is generally fish-only, not coral-only, especially since nowadays, we excel at nutrient export.

Secondly, at least for me, I could never have one without the other. For me the joy of reefkeeping is creating a reef ecosystem, and the fish are as much a part of that as the corals. I love watching the fish interact with their reef as much as I love growing big, beautiful coral colonies.

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano (10 gallon) does much better without fish. Just some snails and amphipods. I just do water changes with no skimmer.

When I had some small ocellaris it had always algae and then cyano. I can´t put a skimmer because I work close to it and I don´t want the noise.

In a medium or large tank it´ll be much better to have fish, but in a desktop nano I find they add too much bioload.

Keiffer the reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never considered trying it but I say false to the question as written. You still have to manage nutrients and food. It would just be in a different way. I doubt it’s easier or harder. Probably just different. The relationships between corals, fish and inverts are too interesting to simply not have fish.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could keep a fishless tank I would but algee/food waste control without them is hard

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 and are looking for a colony tank in the future

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk to my fish. I don't talk to my corals. To some people that may seem odd. That's okay. My corals are beautiful, but my fish are my little buddies.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides a reeftank without fish not being a reeftank anymore, I am certain fish help create a stable bacterial biome that corals need to thrive, and that is besides the nutrients they provide to corals directly and the pest certain species can help control.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went fishless for a year, corals didn't like it. The fish waste is a great source of nutrients. You just have to do your research and get "reef safe" fish from a good source, quarantine (or pay extra to have someone else do it), and enjoy.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I started my 66 gallon tank with no fish and for the first 4-5 months it remained fishless.
It's located at the opposite end of my house that my other tank is and it does take extra effort to bring food to this end of the house. So that part of the evening feeding routine was easier.
But I really missed having fish in it.
I've been waiting for reasonably priced Black Cap Basselets to hit the stores, but none have.
So last week I got in 3 captive bred Orchid Dottybacks.
So far so good.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back