A Tale Of Two Mandarins

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now about at my wits' end with the following scenario..... On Friday the 15th I picked up a small male Mandarin at my LFS, drip acclimated him and introduced him to my tank (a 60g fish-only with dry rock and a healthy pod population, three damsels, a clown and an angel). I usually quarantine fish, but in the case of the Mandarin I wanted to put him where there are plenty of pods to eat, so into the DT he went. He acclimated well and did fine for a week, until the following Friday, when I found him dead for no apparent reason (Ammonia and Nitrite zero, PH 8.1 and SG 1.023). Well, since there was no apparent cause for the death I was determined to get a Mandarin, so I had my LFS obtain another this week. I picked up the fish yesterday at 6:30pm, and by 7:30 had the bag floating in the tank to equalize the temp preparatory to the drip acclimation. In 45 minutes I was preparing to move the fish into the acclimation drip container, and he was graveyard dead. Now this LFS does not normally warranty saltwater livestock, but don't you think they should make an exception in this case ? I have no problem with them not wanting to warranty livestock for 7 days, but I think they should at least guarantee a fish til it is taken out of its bag.... I have spent $60.00 trying to get a Mandarin, and have nothing but a beautiful carcass to show for it !

Last edited:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I would certainly go back and talk to them about it. See if they will do anything. Were they wild caught or tank raised? How long did the LFS have them before passing on to you?

OP
OP
Clownfish_Boy

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I would certainly go back and talk to them about it. See if they will do anything. Were they wild caught or tank raised? How long did the LFS have them before passing on to you?
Oh yes, I emailed them regarding the dilemma. The Mandarins were wild caught, and the LFS had had them only a couple of days. They were special ordered for me, so I only had like 48 hours to pick them up.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back