A (True) Fish Story- A Salute to the creativity of The Reefer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, we reef hobbyists are a pretty crazy bunch. Sometimes, we have spouses/significant others/family members who don't share our obsession, which makes understanding our obsession a bit tougher, and we have to become more creative to keep the rest of the household on board as we add to our collection. Sometimes, we have to use whatever means have to justify getting more stuff. Here is a true story from one of our customers that I think effectively demonstrates this!

Our customer, a stay-at-home dad, had a young baby who was extremely fussy, to the point where he wouldn't settle down for an afternoon nap, resulting in a frazzled dad, a really fussy baby, and an exhausted mom (a busy attorney) coming home to a screaming kid and a stressed out dad every day, with dinner not quite ready.

crying_baby.jpg

This was causing serious stress in their relationship...They struggled for a solution-any solution- that would restore order and peace in the household. Dad, a lifelong aquarium hobbyist and long-time reefer, knew instinctively what to do: He plopped the crying kid in front of the small fledgling, and forgotten reef aquarium that he kept in the living room. You know- the one that was sort of forgotten as more important family needs arose. Of course, the baby was enthralled, and would settle down almost immediately. Yeah, you know where this is heading. Our customer was a hardcore reefer- and he saw his "in" to revive the reef!

images.jpeg

Of course, being a reefer, he didn't just leave it at that. His aquarium was sort of basic, as it took a back seat to other, more important things in the household. So, he did what any self-respecting reefer would do: He successfully argued with his wife that, if the aquarium was MORE visually stimulating, more captivating, and more full of life, it would be a better "relaxation tool" for the baby, and would improve everyone's quality of life. His wife, ever the logical type, agreed with his theory.

After a series of system ugrades (LED lighting , Vortech pumps, and a controller ("...because having a controller means that I will spend less time with the aquarium and more time doing important stuff" was the arguement), it was time to add some new livestock!

That's where we came in.

_DSC0338-ultrarainbowacanwysiwyg-720.jpg

_DSC0395-ufobowerbanki-720.jpg

Dad had pretty good taste! And his once-forgotten reef aquarium has become an impressive display...And of course, a source of relaxation for the whole family! I leave it to you, the reader, to contemplate the creativity of his arguement!

So, I could say that we don't just sell corals- we keep families together...right? :) Yeah.

I love the creativity of a reefer!

What's the best excuse you've ever used to justify more stuff for your hobby? C'mon, I know you've come up with a few...Let's hear 'em!

-Scott

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that same argument to start my 1st tank. My son was not even born yet (3 months to go) now my son is 2 have upgraded my tank 2 times and now have a 75 with LEDs and controller. He spends more time looking at the tank then I do. It's very true about baby's and reef tanks the colors amaze them. My son loves clown fish after I read my magazines I give them to him to look at and he always finds a clown fish and puts his stuffed clown fish right next to it like its swimming with it. Or he tanks the stuffed clown to the tank to swim with the ones in the tank.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the best thing, Jake? You may have launched your child on a lifelong journey with the hobby, which could lead to a career in science, etc. a great collateral benefit!

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best reason for me was its a learning hobby. Theres chemistry and biology for the kids. And it completes the decor in a home.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a stay at home dad and set up my biocube 29 when my son was 2. He was born with a club foot and had had surgery. He would not stop crying due to pain. I told my wife I was done. I could not deal with it anymore. So on a trip to Houston, I ran into a high school friend that owned a saltwater fish store. He asked me to stop by. So I did and saw the biocube. My son also stopped crying while in the store. So it clicked. My buddy said he had a demo biocube that he never set up and would sell it to me for a 100. It included the stand. I bought it and set it up as soon as I got home. Now my son 8, has been diagnosed with autism and things are still a struggle. But when things get tough we head to the tank or the lfs. It really can refocus him and calm him down. He also knows more about marine tanks than most hobbyists as well as his teachers. So it's a rewarding hobby and is therapeutic. So that's my excuse. My wife sees me getting frustrated and actually tells me "go see hunter". A worker at the lfs.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, we reef hobbyists are a pretty crazy bunch. Sometimes, we have spouses/significant others/family members who don't share our obsession, which makes understanding our obsession a bit tougher, and we have to become more creative to keep the rest of the household on board as we add to our collection. Sometimes, we have to use whatever means have to justify getting more stuff. Here is a true story from one of our customers that I think effectively demonstrates this!

Our customer, a stay-at-home dad, had a young baby who was extremely fussy, to the point where he wouldn't settle down for an afternoon nap, resulting in a frazzled dad, a really fussy baby, and an exhausted mom (a busy attorney) coming home to a screaming kid and a stressed out dad every day, with dinner not quite ready.

crying_baby.jpg

This was causing serious stress in their relationship...They struggled for a solution-any solution- that would restore order and peace in the household. Dad, a lifelong aquarium hobbyist and long-time reefer, knew instinctively what to do: He plopped the crying kid in front of the small fledgling, and forgotten reef aquarium that he kept in the living room. You know- the one that was sort of forgotten as more important family needs arose. Of course, the baby was enthralled, and would settle down almost immediately. Yeah, you know where this is heading. Our customer was a hardcore reefer- and he saw his "in" to revive the reef!

images.jpeg

Of course, being a reefer, he didn't just leave it at that. His aquarium was sort of basic, as it took a back seat to other, more important things in the household. So, he did what any self-respecting reefer would do: He successfully argued with his wife that, if the aquarium was MORE visually stimulating, more captivating, and more full of life, it would be a better "relaxation tool" for the baby, and would improve everyone's quality of life. His wife, ever the logical type, agreed with his theory.

After a series of system ugrades (LED lighting , Vortech pumps, and a controller ("...because having a controller means that I will spend less time with the aquarium and more time doing important stuff" was the arguement), it was time to add some new livestock!

That's where we came in.

_DSC0338-ultrarainbowacanwysiwyg-720.jpg

_DSC0395-ufobowerbanki-720.jpg

Dad had pretty good taste! And his once-forgotten reef aquarium has become an impressive display...And of course, a source of relaxation for the whole family! I leave it to you, the reader, to contemplate the creativity of his arguement!

So, I could say that we don't just sell corals- we keep families together...right? :) Yeah.

I love the creativity of a reefer!

What's the best excuse you've ever used to justify more stuff for your hobby? C'mon, I know you've come up with a few...Let's hear 'em!

-Scott

LOL

like father like son, i guess! Lucky dad for sure.

I'm always using the "its on sale" or "do you know how rare this is" lines on my wife...not that she cares about rarity but at least she's awesome about my reef addiction!

The next one will be "but i NEED a 120gallon...put excuse here". That one will take a bit of convincing but I'm trying to do that with my current display...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL

like father like son, i guess! Lucky dad for sure.

I'm always using the "its on sale" or "do you know how rare this is" lines on my wife...not that she cares about rarity but at least she's awesome about my reef addiction!

The next one will be "but i NEED a 120gallon...put excuse here". That one will take a bit of convincing but I'm trying to do that with my current display...

"...Honey, Starphire glass is REALLY important for the health of the animals, as I believe it has superior insulating capacity for the aquarium's inhabitants...Probably best to use it on 3 sides, I think. We just don't want to compromise the health of the animals..."

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a stay at home dad and set up my biocube 29 when my son was 2. He was born with a club foot and had had surgery. He would not stop crying due to pain. I told my wife I was done. I could not deal with it anymore. So on a trip to Houston, I ran into a high school friend that owned a saltwater fish store. He asked me to stop by. So I did and saw the biocube. My son also stopped crying while in the store. So it clicked. My buddy said he had a demo biocube that he never set up and would sell it to me for a 100. It included the stand. I bought it and set it up as soon as I got home. Now my son 8, has been diagnosed with autism and things are still a struggle. But when things get tough we head to the tank or the lfs. It really can refocus him and calm him down. He also knows more about marine tanks than most hobbyists as well as his teachers. So it's a rewarding hobby and is therapeutic. So that's my excuse. My wife sees me getting frustrated and actually tells me "go see hunter". A worker at the lfs.

We are going today for are 2nd visit to the doc for are son today about autism. We are pretty sure it is and he was trying to say he thinks he has it last time without really saying it tell he gets more paper work filled out by all his teachers we got for him.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going today for are 2nd visit to the doc for are son today about autism. We are pretty sure it is and he was trying to say he thinks he has it last time without really saying it tell he gets more paper work filled out by all his teachers we got for him.

Jake, I wish you and your family the best. I hope that the aquarium is a source of both enjoyment and stimulation for your son and family. It would be wonderful if the aquarium could perform some therapeutic role for him! Who knows what kind of amazing journey his life will take as a result of being exposed to an aquarium!

Scott

Jake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake, I wish you and your family the best. I hope that the aquarium is a source of both enjoyment and stimulation for your son and family. It would be wonderful if the aquarium could perform some therapeutic role for him! Who knows what kind of amazing journey his life will take as a result of being exposed to an aquarium!

Scott

Thanks! He has it witch is bitter sweet. Means we can get more help that he need. And now prolly can convince the wife into a bigger tank!! Or at less upgrading the 75

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back