A warning to anyone who uses Orbit Marine lights with a gooseneck...

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hello everyone. I feel very stupid right now, but I would like to warn others to not make the same mistake as me.

I have, well used to have, an Orbit Marine Nano LED Aquarium Light, and while I am sure not many people have it, I am sure some do. It's a very beginner, low quality light that will do the job at growing softies, but IME, it doesn't do well at growing any LPS or SPS.

I got it in a kit with my fish tank, and that's the reason I think many beginners will have this, as they are told it's a "good" light.

Anyways, within a month of having a few LPS and SPS, I decide to upgrade, because I didn't like the results I were seeing. Anyways, today my new light came, but nothing to mount it with. The gooseneck is coming in roughly 2 days, but I was impatient so I decided to unscrew the Orbit Marine light from the gooseneck, and boom. The lights went out and were never to come back on. I guess my thought was I might be able to use it to temporarily mount the AI Prime? I don't know. I am running on no sleep, so I guess I wasn't thinking right lol.

So, if anyone has a light similar to mine with the cord inside the goose neck, moral of the story is DONT UNSCREW IT!!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals in your tank? Do they like the light?

I was able to set up my AI prime, and I haven't seen my corals so open before, so maybe I had a bad light? It didn't seem bright at all...

Edit: sorry, I forgot to quote your post @mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have corals in my tank. I have softies, lps and a few sps. I ran the Orbit Marine for 2 months and I thought everything looked good. I should have elaborated though. I get free things to review on Amazon for their Vine Program and I’ve received 3 reef lights to try and the Orbit Marine was one. Right now I’m using a Hygger light that I like but it’s super slim on features/customization. I also just received another Hygger light that is small but I use it sort of like a booster light.

Anyway, I liked the Orbit Marine enough that I just purchased today one of their bigger lights to go over a new 40B I’m setting up due to I feel like my corals are not keeping their hands to themselves and need more room.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wires probably got twisted so much while you were unscrewing it and broke off on the solder pads. If you are brave enough to disassemble the light and fix the connection it should work. If not, your tank will be find with no light for a day or 2.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back